I NEED HELP AND ANSWERS, PLEASE HELP

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
nanawal

I NEED HELP AND ANSWERS, PLEASE HELP

Post by nanawal »

I have been told by my MD that I have RLS. I have been to this site before and several of you emailed me and I thank you for that. But I am back with more questions.

I am 48 years old and have had RLS for many years now. A lot of your complaints do sound like mine and alot dosesn't. I do not have the shakes or jerks. My legs both of them hurt like "growing pains". They have gotten worst in the past few weeks. They not only hurt at night but during work. I have to get up from my desk and walk strecth them and whatever to try to keep working. My Klopin (misp.) does not seem to help much except make me drugged the next day. I sleep on the couch most nights so as not to discurb my husband. When the weather changes the pain is worst. When I have a period it is worst. I have RA but this pain is worst than that.

Do any of you think this is what I have or is it something else? I feel like my legs should just be cut off and the pain then would quit.

As mentioned before, I don't have the shakes or jerks nor any problems with my hands.

Thank you for any help.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

Well I have the same pain that you are discribing however I also have jerks at night. I jerk every 6 mins or 60 times in a hour. You may think you don't jerk but without a sleep test you don't know. I didn't know i jerked like this till my husband brought it to my attention. So I would suggest talking with your doctor some more about it. As for the klonopin that did nothing but make me extremly sleepy during the day and it took my jerks down to a twitch according to my hubby but for the pain it did nothing. So my doc took me off it and put me back on the mirapex. Who knows what works, but hopefully they and I will figure it out. Good luck
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

becat

Hi Nan

Post by becat »

Hi Nan,
It's so good to see you again.
I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time.
I would have to ditto both the weather and the period thing. Wow, I would think we were to old for growing pains. But you knwo that is the best and easiest way to describe a big part of my RLS in my legs.
I didn't think I moved too much in bed, if I went to sleep. After a stressed month or so, hubby finally told me that I almost kicked him out of bed most nights the last couple of weeks. OOpppsssss I hate that your ending up on the couch, it's where I slept for most of my 9 yrs. prior to finding good treatment.
I would think that if your pain with RLS is different than the RA and I'm sure your sure of the difference........
I'm no pro at Fibro yet, but from what I understand that it can be associated with arthritis. There are several here that could be more helpful with this subject and hopefully they will add on to this. I know, your already dealing with a ton of stuff already, but it could be possible.
This doesn't mean that you don't have RLS, in fact many Firbo suffers have RLS as well. But I'm not telling you that you have it either. I understand exactly what growing pains feel like and theres no other pain like it.
Nan, the other possiblity is your RLS is painful. Mine is and always has been. My other symptoms, besides itching, are mostly managable until I have a major attack. But daily I have pain and severely like you, when stress, weather changes, or the period happens.
I think Jan is right, it's time that the doc did some adjusting of the meds. At least go and see him, tell him pain and sleep are issues that need to be resolved.
I know you must be worn out between work and no rest, not to mention the pain. When I take my pain meds I ususally just take enough to make it all manageable. But having said that, I have had to take enough a couple of times in the past several weeks to deaden it all. It seems to reset the RLS clock somehow. It could just be me and when I've had enough or like this week, just didn't sleep for over two days. I cheated and took enough to work. This may not work for you, just saying it's what I did and I don't recommend to anyone to do so without a doctors help.
Make an appt and let them know this treatment your on is not working. If it takes a while to get in, ask the nurse if there is something they can offer you until you can get there. It's fair to ask.
My best wishes to you hon.......
Glad to see you, wish it were going better.

nanawal

Post by nanawal »

Just wanted to thank the two of you for anwering my questions. It is nice to talk with other people that have the same problems.

Thanks for being here.