I just had to tell you guys

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Lori

I just had to tell you guys

Post by Lori »

I'm sorry I'm so new and babbling already, but I figured if anyone would appreciate this moment along with me, it would be you guys. :)

I wasn't comfortable bringing up my symptoms with my husband last night, as I figured there was a 50/50 chance he'd dismiss my concerns, and I'd be on my own for a bit.

After I told him what happened two nights ago, he said immediately, "That sounds like Restless Leg Syndrome." :shock: I almost laughed, I was so relieved. He then told me he treats his HIV patients (he's an Infectious Disease doc) for peripheral neuropathy, and they do very well on Neurontin. He assured me that if this continued at this level of severity, he would treat me himself or send me to a Neuro.

He said, "I know what you're thinking, and believe me, you're not nuts. It's a real condition, and any good Neurologist would make the call. No more Benadryl for you, eh?" :lol:

Anyway, after that, I didn't care what kind of night I had ~ I was so happy he believed me. Fortunately, I had a good night (apparently the Benadryl finally wore off :roll: ).

Thank you again for listening to me yesterday.

Lori

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Congratulations on having someone that believes you! The fact that your husband will be able to help you is great, too. But, just knowing that someone doesn't think you're lying or out of your mind is a great place to be with this stuff.
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

GREAT story, Lori! I got a good giggle out of it! Not to mention, in all seriousness, what a blessing for you!!!!!! :D

I HOPE that you continue to do better as long as you stay clear of the Benadryl, but at least if not, you're in good hands, from the sounds of things. What a lovely "gift" you got from your hubby.... understanding and support. Hooray!!!!

Take good care!!!
Sara :D

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys.

"Gift" is an excellent choice of words. :) After reading about the difficult diagnostic process some patients go through, I consider myself very lucky. My mother-in-law has MS, and she had to go through 8 doctors before one A) believed her and B) nailed the diagnosis.

I used to be able to take Benadryl in the past. Ah well...there goes my antihistimine.

I'm off to read more posts now. It really helps hearing others' symptoms and experiences.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. :)

Lori

Post by Lori »

Doh! I'm such a dork. :roll: I was looking through the threads, saw "Guest" and thought "Hey, someone else replied! Cool."

Of course, it was me. :lol:

*I fixed that by officially registering.* 8)

becat

Hi Lori

Post by becat »

HI Lori,
That is just awesome. Not only hearing that you have instant support, but that there is another doctor out there that knows about the difficulties of living with RLS.
Trust me when I say, we wish all in the medical community could be that way. Glad to know that your hubby is there for you. We find that some of us are having to learning how to talk and share our lifestyle, even with those we live with and love.
I'm with Sara, I had to give a LOL about your experience. It's so wonderful to hear that I'm not the only chicken out here. LOL But certainly learning how to express my symptoms and the whole RLS life is a value to behold.
Welcome to the board. Glad to have you with us. Could we clone the hubby for some of the rest of the medical community?

Sara

Post by Sara »

:lol:

Glad you're official now, Lori! :D

When we're frustrated and uncomfortable, support and kindness mean so much. Even better is caring and competent medical care. And you're right... lots of people here have not received that.

So sorry about your mother-in-law. I hear that MS is very very tough. :(

Nice to have you on the forum.

Sara :D