Severe allergies

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Penguinrocks

Severe allergies

Post by Penguinrocks »

I have severe allergies and allery induced asthma. I've read all the evils of Benedryl (antihistimines). I'm miserable...I love spring but not what it brings with my allergies. Any input? Doc usually perscribes Rhinocourt Aqua for me. And that has worked better than Zyrtek. BUT, since I've been diagnosed with RLS, I've not used it, so I don't know what kind of effect if any it'll have on me.

Dawn
Beware the Penguin

becat

Sniffes Here

Post by becat »

Hi Dawn,
~~~~~~~~~ here's some tissues, it's all I can spare for ya. This season is a killer for us as well. All the beautiful rain this winter and the nice warm days, I think we're sprouting weeds not seen around these parts since the dinosaurs left. I don't even recognize some of theplant coming up.
It may have been allergies and the combo of adding my crying tizzy last week, but I'm on anibiotics. My poor eyes all swollen up, hubby better be nice or I'll tell people he hit me.....LOL really just a Joke. Even the dog is suffereing.
He gets to take the benedryl, I was given something called Mucinex. or guaifenesin. Now all this stuff does is keep it all moving. I know there was talk about it a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to report that it's not making my legs and arms worse. But I sure miss being able to just dry it all up. I'm blowing my nose so offer, think hubby starting to think I'm trying to do the dance of the seven veils. LOL
I sure don't want to not go outside, worse the house sure needs to the windows opened up after a long winter. I wanna play in the dirt.
Let me know if you take the ohter stuff and how it works for ya.
Hugs and ~~~~tissues.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks Becat,

I think we should all buy stock in Kleenex! :lol:

Hope you are back to "normal" soon. What ever normal is.

love
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Dawn and Becat--

Never thought of this from the allergy/RLS standpoint, but just off the top of my head and shooting from the hip....

What about echinachea syrup? Mucco coccicinum (I know I spelled that wrong, but if you see it at the health food store, you'll know it's what I meant :P )? Ionizing air purifier?

My best friend sells the purifiers, and we're going to buy one this month. Friends of ours with an allergic daughter who live nearby (lots of dust and pine pollen and such around here, plus in OUR house we have construction particulate matter, too) said it was a GOD-SEND to her. We stayed with the friends who sell them and their house is lovely-- they even loaned us one to help with some mold problems we had in the motorhome! (But don't waste your money on a cheap-o one!)

Not sure how MUCH anything herbal or homeopathic would help with really tough allergies, but hubby doesn't like OTC drugs and can't take anything prescrip that would make him drowsy because of his job. But he got more severe allergies and he did REALLY well two years in a row with a homeopathic allergy remedy (might have been Hyland's, but he also took another one when he ran out of the first, and it was pretty good, too). These are long-term "solutions", not instant relief, so much. But seems like they MIGHT work out for RLSers???

I took echinachea syrup a lot one year when I was having sinus problems, and I don't RECALL if it had any effect on my RLS, but I never got a sinus INFECTION... so I was happy.

Anyone tried any of these herbal/homeopathic/environmental strategies???

Sara :D

becat

oooooooo My Sara

Post by becat »

:roll: OOOO MY SARA, How long of a break do you have right now? LOL
As you know, holistic was my family's middle name. Most of them to this day. I might add my grandmother took more medication in the last three weeks of her life, than in a lifetime. Honestly, at 88 she never took medication. Have I tried anything? hmmmmmmm
Allergies:
I eat the Hottest Peppers I can find. I promise it will drain your sinus.

I drink warm or hot fluids and a ton of them to help keep my body well hydrated.

Air purifiers, got one. Does an ok job, not a cheap brand. I couldn't really tell you what it does. I can close it up in a room to clean the air, odors, (pets, fireplace, smoke). That does a good job.
I say yes, to those, but agree not a cheat one. My favorite would personally be the sharper image brand.
Vitamins:
C is always needed for the immune system.
Good protein as well. Soy bean or Whey are plant forms that make it easier for our systems to absorb and use. Meatprotien can provides useful iron to our system.
Cal/Mag for RLS and for a general calming of the system. Not to mention the other things they do.
B complex is again calming, but it's essential for the immune system as well.
Zinc is a must. Taking a cold put several out on the cabinet. 3-4 times a I take 2. it does kick a cold. I also like that stuff called Airborne. Teacher devloped it cause she was tired of catching every students cold each year. It is all vitamins and herbs. Not the greatest taste, and drink it like alkzeler. But I see a differece in an hour or so.
echinachea is wonder as natures natural anitibotic as is garlic.
but echinachea shouldn't be taken on a daily basis. The brand I take suggests it's better not to.
But things with chlorophyll like alfalfa is very cleasing. It the cleaner for the body. I grew up around alfalfa fields as a kid, so my tolerence is low. I can't take it any more. However it may work well for others.
Nasal Wash, this one you have to get use to. It's no fun.
This is something to do several times a day during sinus trouble. But daily there after. It's xyitol and saline, or purified water. It's the xyitol that shoudl be the main ingredient. It's a complex sugar that helps to make cells speak to each others more efficently. It will clean the airways and keep other problems to a minimum or at bay. I buy a bottle for everyone in my house and it becomes personal properity. No sharing.
Change your air filter in the house every month. Vaccum or launder your drapes and rugs. Dust your house with a damp cloth, nor furniture polish. Put pillows in the dryer for 10-15 minutes, use the right heat setting for your pillow's design. Cooking oyur pillow this way helps for night time sinus. I'd do this once a month.
Ok someone elses turn to pitch in on this. Between us all. We'll have a list a yard long to choose from.
Hugs.
[/b]