Is a buttock muscle ache a type of RLS?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Donh

Is a buttock muscle ache a type of RLS?

Post by Donh »

I would like to know if anyone has experienced RLS type aches in the buttock muscles making if almost impossible to sit and read for any time. My sleep doctor has stated that he had never encountered it and he suspects my sitting problem is caused by a spinal disorder. I have had RLS for over 30 years but have been relieved by taking Mirapex for the last 10 years. This buttock ache problem began early this year and is getting worse. I have been taking an additional .25mg mirapex tablet about noon to try to relieve the sitting problem. It has been some help but I still cannot sit and read or watch TV. I tried the Neupro Patch a few weeks ago and the problem became worse, probably because I had discontinued Mirapex during that trail. Like RLS, this problem does not seem to bother when I am mentally distracted such as sitting and playing a game of poker. However, I cannot sit and read a newspaper.
Please let me know, if you or someone you know has this type of problem and it has been a type of RLS.

Polar Bear

Re: Is a buttock muscle ache a type of RLS?

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello Donh, and welcome to the site.

Speaking personally I can have discomfort sitting and also walking but this is because of degeneration of the lumbar spine.
My WED is of the twitchy crawly type and not aches.

WED/RLS can occur just about anywhere.

I seem to recall that someone posted about buttock muscles (unless I'm confused ??) and you could try a search.

EDIT: If you search for just 'buttock' a few posts will come up.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You mentioned an ache; is your normal WED an ache? Mine is not - it's definitely electrical. If your normal WED (RLS) is an ache, it's possible. But since meds aren't working on it, I'm thinking it's probably not.

I get a deep buttock ache at times, too. In my case, it's definitely not WED/RLS. I originally thought I might have had sciatica. After years of it coming and going, I finally figured out that mine was related to a type of muscle spasms I get. They are usually in my upper back, shoulders, neck, and head, but have spread to my upper arms and buttocks. They are called myofascial trigger points. For me, they cause headaches, backaches, shoulder aches, and buttock aches! When I can find the tiny muscle knot and massage it, I can usually make the pain go away (not instantly, but it backs off over a period of hours). The knot in my buttock is on the lower side of my buttock and I can just press on it and feel pain.

Mine sometimes resolves with movement, but never with my WED medication. It also sometimes resolves with attending, too. I think that is because pain if fickle like that. WED and pain have a lot in common in terms of how we perceive them and how we can (at times) control them with our thoughts.

I'm not suggesting you have this - but that it's an option that may be worth looking into.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Donh

Post by Donh »

ViewsAskew. Thank you for your input. I have an appointment with my primary on Wednesday and will explore the possibility of some type of spine source. The pain seems to respond somewhat to Mirapex and also reacts to situations similar to the way my regular RLS leg feeling does. After 30 years, I can usually predict how situations will affect my RLS. They seem to affect this buttock ache the same way. Donh

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Definitely, buttock pain is a symptom of WED. WED can occur on the legs, trunk, and arms.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

wabbit wrote:Definitely, buttock pain is a symptom of WED. WED can occur on the legs, trunk, and arms.

It can, yes. And genitals and other places.

I think the thing we always have to remember is that WED never is pain without an urge to move. The pain (or other sensation) is secondary - the most important criteria is that you MUST move and that moving resolves the sensation (if there is one).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.