RLS and the effect of sleeping on a boat

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
nancyc

RLS and the effect of sleeping on a boat

Post by nancyc »

Hello,

I have a crazy question.....I just spent 6 nights on a sailboat, docked in a marina, swaying just a little. Oddly enough, I had no bouts of RLS while on the boat ! And this is very unusual for me - hardly a night goes by that I am not woken by it multiple times. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience..and if it really was the boat that was making the difference.
Looking forward to hearing from others !
Nancy

Polar Bear

Re: RLS and the effect of sleeping on a boat

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello Nancy and welcome. I have never heard of this before, but who knows. Perhaps your body just loved the gentle rocking motion.
It will be interesting to see if anyone else has heard of this.
I wonder will you be in the marina tonight..... wherever you will be sleeping I wish you peaceful rest :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

that's an interesting question. I don't know if anyone can know it at this point. I work in the bush a lot, in the wilderness so to speak, and sleep in a tent; and as far as the WED/RLS is concerned, some of the best sleeps I have had have been in a tent, and none of the worst. (sometimes not so good if the back is not supported well, I have some back issues). I don't know if it's being in the fresh air all day, or what. It's not got to do with being relaxed, because I'm not always on those jobs, so whatever is helpful about being outside, it's helping despite the stress.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I have not slept on a boat but a while back I had posted a similar question because I had spent time on one and my symptoms were either masked by the movement or just not there. Since I have been working on engeneering a way to test it at home . (recent changes in my life have temporariy put the project on hold) Will be intereting to see what happens though.