Does the nausea from Mirapex ever go away? Ugh..

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Newlydiagnosed331

Does the nausea from Mirapex ever go away? Ugh..

Post by Newlydiagnosed331 »

Hi everyone,
I just started taking Mirapex last Friday. I currently take 2 pills a day. The nausea has been so unbelievably bad today. But, my legs feel fabulous. That is amazing because I have completely forgotten what it's like for my legs to feel normal while sitting. I spoke with my neurologist and he said to just take my full dose at bed now instead of in the morning and at night. Ugh.. I hope that helps because this nausea reminds me of morning sickness!! :? What is everyone's experience with this medication?

Polar Bear

Re: Does the nausea from Mirapex ever go away? Ugh..

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, the side affect of nausea will usually disappear. It helps if you take it with food although this can also sometimes delay the action a little. Also splitting the medication can often help. Cut a pill in half and take one half, and then an hour later take the other half.

I'm just wondering what will happen regarding the nausea if you take all of your medication in one dose at night.
Also, if you have symptoms during the day it may be more helpful to take the medication morning and evening.

Time will tell, sometimes it takes a little bit of trial and error to get just what suits you.

For about 6 years I have taken requip/ropinerole which is the same class of drug as mirapex and at the beginning I certainly experienced nausea. But I got over it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

newly, sorry I didn't see this newer post before I replied to your other one:)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

I take my Mirapex at night and don't have a problem. Actually I have been taking Mirapex on and off for 12 years plus a multitude of other drugs over the years now for RLS/WED. At first meds did bother me a little bit with nausea but it went away. I can safely say I am totally use to taking medications now. For the most part I am also used to the background fog of feeling drugged up 24 hours a day. If I sit and think about it I can feel the drugs but I rarely do think about it. I have taken them long enough that I pretend that they are not there and it usually works. Preventing the feeling of RLS is the important thing so I can make it through the day and sleep at night. I hope you will have an easier time of it by taking them at night which is probably better for your sleep anyways, and I hope the nausea passes quickly.

Newlydiagnosed331

Thank you for your responses. Yesterday was just too much to handle with the nausea. When I first started the meds I would just get subtle waves of nausea. Yesterday was constant and intense and I almost got sick a few times. I feel like everything feels worse while you're working though. I'm surprised I stuck out the 8 hour day. I took my other dose at night last night and just went to bed so early because the nausea was intense again. Today I will not be taking any meds until night time. I'm concerned about how my legs will hold out through out the day. I'm also concerned I may throw up when taking 2 pills tonight. Not sure if it will make much different if i take one at let's say 7 pm and the other at 9 pm instead of together. Have to think it through a bit... It is definitely trial and error. The doctor just didn't want to switch my meds if they were working for my RLS symptoms. I agreed. But, obviously if the side effects are altering my life then we will need to try a new med. We shall see...

Another think I'm noticing... Since the meds seem to be working for the RLS symptoms now. From time to time my leg feels strange and heavy and I feel the symptoms creeping back up but I don't feel a crazy urge to move my legs. Anyone familiar with that while taking these meds? It almost feels like maybe I'm not taking enough of the med and that's why I feel these things. Who knows?

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

Newlydiagnosed331 wrote:From time to time my leg feels strange and heavy and I feel the symptoms creeping back up but I don't feel a crazy urge to move my legs. Anyone familiar with that while taking these meds? It almost feels like maybe I'm not taking enough of the med and that's why I feel these things. Who knows?

I have those feelings a lot of the time but IF it doesn't prevent me from sitting down and relaxing I don't let it bother me. The alternative is to feel really drugged up from taking more drugs which is not a good thing. Also the more Mirapex you take the more likely it will cause augmentation, and you don't want that for sure.

Have you tried eating something with your Mirapex?

Newlydiagnosed331

I'm only taking .5 mgs. I'm going to take both pills soon. Ugh.. I'm so afraid it's going to make me sick. I haven't taken any meds since last night around this time.

I always eat something before I take the pills. I can't imagine taking them on an empty stomach. Blech!!

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

Newlydiagnosed331 wrote:I'm only taking .5 mgs. I'm going to take both pills soon. Ugh.. I'm so afraid it's going to make me sick. I haven't taken any meds since last night around this time.

I always eat something before I take the pills. I can't imagine taking them on an empty stomach. Blech!!

I take .375 mg or three .125 mg Mirapex at night and I have terrible problems with RLS, but then I also take Lyrica and Oyxcodone. So when you say "only" .5 mg I think that is not a small quantity of Mirapex. Hope you have a better time of it tonight.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You break those pills in half - there is a demarcation line. And increase it more slowly. You can also take it in smaller dose, but more frequently - say .25 3 hours apart. Sometimes those things help, sometimes not. Consider calling the doctor's nurse and seeing what he/she suggests.

As noted, eating with it may help. Also, there are some antinausea meds that can be given. I say some, because the older ones will make WED/RLS worse. Zofran and Kytril are two that are OK.

Some people never get rid of this feeling. Some people do when they increase at lower doses (say taking .125 increases). Some have it lessen enough they can tolerate.

Per the dose - the lowest you can maintain and do the job - that's the best dose.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Newlydiagnosed331

An update on the meds...

Last night was not good. I took both pills at 9 pm. I just stayed in bed because I knew I would get nauseous and dizzy. My leg and my arm were still really bothering me. I didn't fall asleep until midnight. And, of course I had to get up at 6 am for work. I got in the car to drive to work and I felt so spaced out and dizzy. I considered pulling over. But, I fought through it and got to work. I was pretty scared. My legs feel amazing. No sensations at all. But, I still feel slightly queezy and a bit spacey. I'm not sure if I can deal with these side effects. I'm going to give it a few more days. If things do not improve with the side effects I will contact the neuro doc and see what we can do.

I am not enjoying all of this at all. I feel defeated. I'm happy my legs feel great. But, I am very unhappy that I have to take medication to mask it. And, I have to feel like total crap in order to get my legs to feel good. I don't want this problem. God.. I sound like a whiny baby. I'm sure you have all felt this way at one time or another. :(

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

Meds are my friends and I would probably worship them if I could lol. Without them my life would be staying up for weeks at a time mostly pacing the floor. I would not be able to work or enjoy life at all. I know because I have literal gone through what I just mentioned for several years until docs found something that would work. Yeah I feel druggy all the time and still have problems but I can work, enjoy living, and watch my grand kids grow up.

Newlydiagnosed331

I made a decision. I can't take this mirapex. I'm feeling worse than I did during my last post. I called the doc. He told me to discontinue. We have to wait a week and then he'll prescribe me something else. Ugh... Then all my lovely RLS symptoms will have a chance to come back. I'm at my wits end. I just want to see my son. He's 2. He always puts me in a good mood and makes me forget about everything. I'm at work now and he's at daycare. Wish I could just leave work!!!

I guess I just don't like the idea of being dependent on meds... But, I see what you're saying! Without them we'd be miserable!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's a shame you don't have a different class of medication to see you through the week until you see your doctor.
You have tried the mirapex for a week.... And your pills were .5 x twice daily. That means last night you took 2 pills i.e. 1mg dosage.
That's seems to have been a bit high of a dose this early. Could explain why the nausea affected you so badly.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Newlydiagnosed331

I know. I'm worried about the upcoming week. But, I understand he wants everything out of my system completely
before putting me on anything else. I was not clear about my dosage. They are .125 mg pills. Not .25 mg pills as I kept saying. So, my full does was .25. Sorry for the confusion!! I think all of my discomfort and the side effects of these meds are making me delirious! :lol: I'm feeling better now. Just queasy at times. But, I can't feel that way every day with working full time and taking care of a toddler. Stinks...

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

That dosage sounds much better.

It's tough working full time with a wee toddler let alone dealing with symptoms and lack of sleep.
What sometimes worked for me before I started taking meds was to fill a deep bucket with icy water and get the feet and lower legs into it. Pretty much took my breath away but was okay after a moment. I kept splashing the water up as far as possible and eventually after about 20 minutes my symptoms would have calmed, usually long enough to let me get over to sleep.
Betty