holy crapoly...i'm not a freak

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
PMB_Ohio

holy crapoly...i'm not a freak

Post by PMB_Ohio »

Man...i never new there was such a syndrome, and i certainly had no idea others were "sharing my pain". i'm 35 now and never, ever, remember not having this problem. i go to bed with the fiance, lay there with her kicking my legs until she falls asleep, and then i get up and walk around for the rest of the night trying to "walk the cramps off". if i get 3 hours of sleep a night i consider myself lucky. what a relief to know i'm not a total freak and there are others struggling with the same thing (unfortunately). well, i've got some serious reading on this site to do.

crazy stuff. i'm totally blown away that after all of these years there's a name for this (other than "the jimmy legs")

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, PMB--

Love your subject line. :wink:

I was about your age when I first heard about RLS by accident, and I know JUST how you feel! I was SHOCKED, because I just thought my symptoms were a personal idiosyncracy. WHO KNEW that anyone else had "the foot thing" at night, too???? :lol:

Like you, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy-- and unfortunately some of my dearest friends and family also suffer--- but it DOES HELP to know we're not alone.

You hang in there, and welcome to the forum!

Sara :D

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi PMB,

When "they" gave me my diagnosis, I thought, "oh, that's it?" I had NO IDEA of the actual scope of pain!

I'm so sorry that you had to find us, but, I'm so glad you did.
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

becat

That's great

Post by becat »

Well PMB, your right, your far from being alone. There's many of us that had that same thought. Love the Holy Crapola. Much nicer than I have put it myself.
You've been welcomed by two of our wonderful members already, but I had to chime in.
I'm glad that you already know that we are going to tell you to read. Education about this disorder and diagnosis is the best defense against it. You know your body and what your willing to do with it. See, everyone of us is different. Different levels of RLS and different ways to cope. There is no one way to do that. There are some that can get good result with vitamins and herbs. There are many here that use medications or a combination of medications. It's all about what works for you.
I'm giving you a couple of links to start you out. But, by far your posting on the board always ends up a good education as well. Not to mention the awesome support of others that are in the same boat.
This first link was started by our Ann, and is good for getting your feet wet. Tons of great information here.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

The RLS Algorithm is a gudie to diagnosis and treatment, there is a pdf file, from the Mayo Clinic. You can print it off for yourself and any other doc you have.

This link is just simply medications, even OTC to avoid.http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252

Question..............did you have grown pains as a child? Does anyone else have "crazy legs or feet" in your family?

I am glad you are here, it's never good to be a freak alone. LOL :) But your not a freak and your not alone. You've got all of us. As the others have said, we understand.

Hugs to all.

PMB_Ohio

Thanks all

Post by PMB_Ohio »

to answer a couple of questions; i dont recall ever having growing pains. i do remember always "kicking myself to sleep" though.

as for family members with the same problem...not a one that i know of.

i gotta tell you guy\gals...i'm still totally blown away about finding this site. 35 years of thinking i was the only person with this. crazy...

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hey PMB

One of the other bad things about this is that you will run into people that will ALSO think you're crazy. This thing is REAL. Unfortunately.

Just know that us other "nuts" in this house have gotten the knowledge behind us to let the naysayers know that we are NOT crazy and we are NOT freaks.

Love
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

PMB_Ohio

here's what brought me here BTW

Post by PMB_Ohio »

i was reading MSNBC.COM online today and here's the article i came across. when i did a google for "restless leg syndrome" RLS.ORG was the first link to show up.

glad i was reading the paper today....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7475344/

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hmmm, that's interesting! Thanks for posting it.

Sara :D

SUGAR

hi guys

Post by SUGAR »

Just thought I would say a thing about that article. It doesn't say anything about those of us that have it all over, back, shoulders, arms and legs. Hmmmmm. Just a thought.