So...I'm really NOT crazy?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
katy

So...I'm really NOT crazy?

Post by katy »

Hi! My name is Katy, I'm 29 years old, and I think I've had RLS pretty much all my life. I've never been a "calm" sleeper, as both my parents and my husband will attest! Mostly, it's my legs jerking, kicking, just plain being, well, restless. Lately, it's been bothering me more. It seems to be worse at night, though. My legs just...hurt. And I just can't be still. I used to dance, and teach dance, but 5 years ago quit that and got a "desk job". I just can't hardly take it anymore!! It's seriously like I just cannot be still. And when I am sitting, I'm usually "swinging" one of my legs. I always did (and still do, hehe) dance around, just move around. I don't know if anyone in my family has this problem, as I'm adopted and don't have any medical history available to me.

I've done a bit of reading on this site so far, and have found some interesting things. I noticed that antidepressants can increase symptoms, and I started an antidepressant back in Sept of '04. I refuse to take Nyquil, because I sleep horribly when I do...now I may know why! I can also remember having growing pains as a child. That's even what I told my husband the other day, that I felt like I was having growing pains again!!

Anyway, I just wanted to post a quick intro, and to say that I am so glad that I have found a resource like this!!!

Katy

Sara

Post by Sara »

Well, Katy, if you ARE crazy, at least now you're in good company?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, your story sounds REALLY familiar, and I think all of us who didn't have known RLS in our families all along really breathed a sigh of relief to know that there was a name for the weird sensations we had and habits we had to develop. It sure made ME feel better.

Not to mention, knowledge is power. RLS is a journey, and the more we know about it, the better we can try to figure out ways to live with it-- and also often educate our doctors along the way. :roll: :D

Welcome to the group, and hang in there.

Sara :D