So tired.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
bugdog

So tired.

Post by bugdog »

Hi.

I've had RLS since I was a child, actually, and until a couple of years ago, I had no idea that anyone else had it. Now I know my dad also has this and frequently when I mention it to other, it's like a light bulb turns on - they have experienced it too.

Right now, I'm having a very bad time with it. It's in my legs and my arms and I'm not able to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. The only things I've ever found that give me any relief are Ativan and Vicodin -I discovered that by accident thanks to some dental work.

After trying levodopa with no success, my last doctor was certain that Neurontin was the way to go for me. That didn't work, and I took varying doses over six months to give it time to work. I finally mentioned what I'd found out about the Ativan and/or Vicodin working, he hemmed and hawed about how that stuff was so addictive... and so on. Yeah, I know all that, but what does it matter if to me if I end up dead in a car wreck because I can't sleep? I know what narcotics can do to a person, but falling asleep at the wheel on my way home from work somehow seems like a much worse fate...

Anyway, I had to change doctors due to other reasons and I'm wondering how to approach this with a new doctor. How well will he respond to me saying that I know I have RLS, that I've had it for as long as I can remember and I've already tried Neurontin and Levodopa, AND that I know what works for me?

I have to be at work in 4 hours now, and I can't lay down without going crazy. Tonight it's in both legs and my right arm.... I've started locking myself in a small conference room at lunch and sleeping an hour (when I don't have the twitchies) just so I can drive home in the afternoon.

My husband also has RLS, but his is secondary to Crohn's Disease, liver disease (due to Crohn's) and secondary Fibro (again with the Crohn's). Since they put him on OxyContin for pain, he has very rarely had an RLS attack - usually only when he skips a dose of the Oxy or runs out early (very bad thing). I know without a doubt that one of those damn things would fix how I feel right now.... but I also wouldn't be able to function for 12+ hours - if it didn't kill me - and I'd be shorting him on his much needed medication. I know my parents both have vicodin left over from visits to the dentist and I know that just one of those damn things would let me sleep... but again, it's not mine, so I wouldn't dream of taking it...

Last week, I pulled a muscle in my left arm trying to stretch the twitchies out of it. Duh. Brilliant move on my part. Then it hurt, too. Yay.

Crazy ramblings from crazy Kelly. Heh. I've got a key to my parents' house and it's just across the street... Who knew that RLS could drive you to consider stealing Rx meds from your parents? (insert lots of cussing and some pacing here).

Heck of an intro, huh?

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Kelly
First off with the doc situation. You need to interview a new doc. He's there for YOU not the other way around. If he/she doesn't listen, their FIRED.

Don't be going and stealing any meds from mom and dad, they need it and it may end up being really bad for you.

Welcome to the board, you're NOT crazy, sorry you had to find us, but very glad you did.

Penguin
Beware the Penguin