Oh what a happy day it is for me!!!!!!!!!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

Oh what a happy day it is for me!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

I can't believe this....after 25+ years suffering with this horrible disease, my wife finds out that there is a name for this.

For years i've been trying to describe to my Dr. (s) how this feels but each one would tell me that it is just stress and to work out more.

I found it impossible to even describe the way this feels. I had given up on this and just figured that I would have to live the rest of my life with this.

My wife, who is pregnant with twins, was flipping through one of her books and in the 7th month they talk about RLS. She showed me and I almost broke down in tears.

I've never gotten more than 5 hours of sleep in one night in all of my life.
Each night was a nightmare because I would spend hours, stretching and rubbing my leg.

This is truely a great day for me!!!!!!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Congrats! We always feel bad when people have to join us 'cus we don't want anyone else to feel like we do, but at the same time are very happy to offer a community of like-souls.

Welcome!

Ann

cliaz

Post by cliaz »

ViewsAskew wrote:Congrats! We always feel bad when people have to join us 'cus we don't want anyone else to feel like we do, but at the same time are very happy to offer a community of like-souls.

Welcome!

Ann

Thank you Ann! I can't believe just how happy I am that I'm not a looney.
I've been trying for years to describe this to people and everyone is like "Sounds like you need to reduce your stress." or "AH, i know what's wrong with you, you're crazy!"

The funny thing is it has gotten horrible to deal with since I was put on blood pressure meds and as it turns out, some of those meds can make it worse.

Hopefully soon I wont have to spend nights almost breaking my ankle with pressure just to get some sleep.

There have been nights where all four of my limbs would act up and I could just scratch getting sleep right off of my list because I knew I wouldn't be able to get any.

This is truely a great day!
"If G*d knows everything, then he must be really bored." -Stephen Hawking

Sara

Post by Sara »

Cliaz--

So happy for you, too. It made a HUGE difference in my ability to deal with my RLS when I found out it was something "more" than just my "evening foot thing". :wink: Now when I feel horrible and need to go to bed (THANKFULLY, I can still go to bed IF I go soon enough in my symptoms), I don't feel bad. "My RLS is killing me, I'm headed for bed." No guilt, no shame. Just the facts.

And better yet, as you said, to realize I'm not alone. Now that I know what I have, and I know others who have it (start asking around, you may know others who are suffering either in silence or without knowing why, too! I did!!!), sometimes when it's bad, I think to myself, "Well, these other people may be walking the floors in unison with me. " I always HOPE they're not, and that they're having a great sleep... but I borrow a thought from a friend from this forum... at least we're all walking under the same moon and stars.

Not sure why that's a comfort, but it is. RLS is something you experience in solitude most of the time (at least emotionally), so maybe it's just good to know we aren't REALLY "alone".

Hugs to your wife for her sharp eye in reading. Hugs to you for all the years you've suffered. Hang in there, and welcome to the group!

Sara :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds like you've already been doing some reading! There are several drugs that can make RLS worse. My favorite advice to newcomers is to spend some time going to all of the links included in this post:

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

You'll find sites that explain it to your doctor, that provide an algorithm for treatment, and that list all the drugs to take and what not to, plus more!

Happy reading. Because I feel so much more empowered when I learn about things, this is what I think everyone should do :-). But, of course, not everyone is like me :? .

Ann

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

WELCOME FROM THE PENGUIN!

How wonderful it feels to know you're not losing your mind eh?! It is a wonderful feeling!!!!

I hate to see/hear of anyone having this stuff. If I had a nickel for everytime i heard it's "all in your head" I'd buy y'all a house! :-)

Just remember that your Doc works for you, not the other way around. Print info off the internet, show him/her the truth. Seems that showing someone something in black and white works as opposed to saying a word.

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

So glad for you! I went thru several docs before someone put a name to it, I didn't know how to explain it. Then I found this helpful place. I have had some luck with some different medicines, not long term, but when one wears off, we start another. It has been wonderful to get some sleep. Welcome to you, Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma