What do you do to pass the time while...

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

What do you do to pass the time while...

Post by Guest »

I'm curious to know what everyone does to pass the time during the night when your leg(s)/arm(s) act up? How many times a week do you suffer from this?

Normally when it happens I just walk up and down the steps for about an hour, then I stand on my left leg (this is the leg that bothers me 9 times out of 10.) and bouncing up and down with my full weight on my left foot. After about 15 minutes of this I sit down and take my left foot in my hands and rotate it counter clockwise with a lot of pressure. Once I do this 100+ times I go back to bouncing on my left foot until it hurts.

Normally after 3+ hours of this ritual I can settle down and have about 20 minutes to fall alseep before it starts to act up again. I go through this at least 5 times a week and to tell you the truth it has become so second nature that I dont even really think about it.

My wife is used to it so it doesn't bother her anymore.

On the nights where my leg just doesn't want to settle down, I pass the time doing web development, video games, and reading.

In a give 30 day month, I spend 20 to 25 nights dealing with this and out of those night I'll go 3 or 4 days through out the month without any sleep.

I've become so use to this condition that, honestly I live well with it. I just hope I do not pass this along to my twins.

Okay, I'm done.... :D

Chow

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Here's hoping your twins are happy and healthy. If for some reason it does pass to them, they will be so fortunate to have understanding parents! Lucky set of twins they are!

Has any one tried Reflexology? Mine is predominantly in my right leg/side. If i take my foot and stretch my leg up behind my back and then deep massage the instep of my foot, it seems to release just a tad. Enough to be able to relax a little.

Another question, I'm right handed and it's mostly in my right side, does this run the same with everyone? Left handed, left side??? etc.

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Post by Guest »

Penguinrocks wrote:
Another question, I'm right handed and it's mostly in my right side, does this run the same with everyone? Left handed, left side??? etc.

Loves
Penguin

Interesting point. I'm left handed. Though there are nights where both legs and arms geek out on me.

I'll tell you though, ever since finding out that there are other people with this, feels like a ton of bricks was lifted from me. I'm happy to know that i'm not a freak.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I have bi-coastal as well, but more so on my right.

You will NEVER be thought of that way here! I thank my lucky stars I found this site and these wonderful people!

Seems to have taken a small level of stress off of me, too.

How bout anyone else?

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin