Hand Tremors/ RLS or Neuropathy ???

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
trinitysite

Hand Tremors/ RLS or Neuropathy ???

Post by trinitysite »

I'm curious to know if the hand tremors I have started to have over the past 6 mos. is related to the RLS/WED (RLS I have had for most of my life)...the tremors first started just before the pain began in my shoulders and then down into my arms...then the hand tremors. When I yawn my hands shake violently but quit quickly after the yawn is over...they also tremor when I hold something with any type of weight i.e. glass of water etc..worse in the left hand than the predominant right hand. If anyone has any information about this I would appreciate it. I must say that I also have Neuropathy caused by a severe reaction to medication which happened in 2008. As you can see I'm so totally confused about which is causing which. I'm on Medicare and as we all know it's becoming difficult to find a medical facility to get help. Thank you for your patience. Jackie

ViewsAskew

Re: Hand Tremors/ RLS or Neuropathy ???

Post by ViewsAskew »

trinitysite wrote:I'm curious to know if the hand tremors I have started to have over the past 6 mos. is related to the RLS/WED (RLS I have had for most of my life)...the tremors first started just before the pain began in my shoulders and then down into my arms...then the hand tremors. When I yawn my hands shake violently but quit quickly after the yawn is over...they also tremor when I hold something with any type of weight i.e. glass of water etc..worse in the left hand than the predominant right hand. If anyone has any information about this I would appreciate it. I must say that I also have Neuropathy caused by a severe reaction to medication which happened in 2008. As you can see I'm so totally confused about which is causing which. I'm on Medicare and as we all know it's becoming difficult to find a medical facility to get help. Thank you for your patience. Jackie

I can see how this could be confusing, Jackie.

In my experience, RLS/WED and PLMs (periodic limb movements) are never experienced as tremors.

Interestingly, when I yawn, my hand shakes - not always, but it's done this for so long I don't remember when it didn't. I doubt it's related to your reason, but at least you know it can happen and not be anything to worry about.

The pain in your shoulders and arms - is that RLS/WED? Or, are you unsure?

Maybe tell us more about the WED/RLS - in which parts of your body do you have it, what medication you take, if any, and so on. Also, do you experience WED/RLS as painful or more as electrical/tickling/bubbling. Seems that the majority of people seem to be in one camp or the other.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I agree with Ann, tremors are not typical of WED/RLS. The way you describe them, they seem a lot like the tremors I get when I'm dead tired, after many nights of very little sleep. But mine are never very strong or bothersome, even then.

Sounds like something you should tell your GP about next visit?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

trinitysite

Post by trinitysite »

Thank you for your responses..still learning how to use this forum so forgive time delay. Besides my RLS/WED I also have chemical Neuropathy....i.e from medication reaction. I just received word yesterday that I have a referral to a Neurologist that knows about both diseases. I have had RLS/WED since I was around 9 yrs. old and didn't know of it at that time of course...the constant tapping the legs up and down etc. family saying it was a nervous twitch. I have taken Mirapex for the past few years...one pill at nighttime and it seemed to work but now I'm finding that the leg twitches are coming sometimes twice a day instead of just the evening. Also, my brain just doesn't want to shut down if that makes sense...I get told all the time to just relax and think of other things...I try not to think of anything and the brain just isn't cooperating to say the least. I've tried Ambien which gives me nightmares....I'm currently on Xanax which isn't helping other than giving me the first hour of non-interrupted sleep....and then Lunesta a few years ago which seemed to help more.
The lack of sleep is horrendous to say the least..I average 2 hrs. a night with the occasional 3 hrs. if I'm lucky. The hand tremors seem to happen as some have said, when I'm tired and also have noticed when I first get up after my sleep nap as I call them.
The RLS is a tingling/burning/irratable/twitching sensation which makes me agitated while it's occurring, like fingernails on a chalkboard irritating. It's from the waist down...from what the previous neurologist said that I have nerve damage do to the reaction to medication which caused the neuropathy. I hope some of this makes sense and thank you for your responses.
Regards, Jackie

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

All of your symptoms, descriptions and irritations are very familiar, tingling, burning, twitching. The sleep naps during the night... I know all about those and use zopiclone 7.,5mg for sleep without a lot of benefit. To those who say relax and think of other things.... hmmm.... what they have to understand is that it's relaxing that start's the symptoms to kick in.

If symptoms are coming earlier in the day there is a chance that it could be augmentation. i.e. when the drug makes the symptoms worse. It could also be a general worsening of the disease. It is often considered that it is ok to have one increase in the DA medication i.e. your mirapex, and see what benefit occurs and how long the benefit lasts. However, I have a feeling that you might be nearing what is now considered to top end for mirapex for WED purposes.
If you look and the links in the signature of 'badnights', there are good links to augmentation information.

Functioning on 2 or 3 hours' sleep is not fun, I worked for many years like that... like an automaton.
Many of us have long experience of the brain not shutting down, some of the medications are 'alerting'. And many of us have also had experience of the nightmares when using a sleep aid. Of course, there is the nuisance that what works for one does not always work for another.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Jackie,

Here's hoping the new neuro is educated on both. They often say they are and then they don't know as much as we need them to.

In terms of the WED, I agree with Polar Bear - you may be augmenting. Definitely something to research before you go see the doc so you are prepared in case he/she doesn't ask about it or explore the possibility.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

trinitysite

Post by trinitysite »

Thank you so much with your replies. I'm not going to pretend I know what augmenting is as I don't because I didn't know about the extremes of RLS until just a couple of weeks ago when I joined. I am going to see if I can find what you recommended here: "If you look and the links in the signature of 'badnights', there are good links to augmentation information." I appreciate the help and patience with this 66 yoa lady who is trying to figure this site out. Regards, Jackie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

trinitysite wrote:Thank you so much with your replies. I'm not going to pretend I know what augmenting is as I don't because I didn't know about the extremes of RLS until just a couple of weeks ago when I joined. I am going to see if I can find what you recommended here: "If you look and the links in the signature of 'badnights', there are good links to augmentation information." I appreciate the help and patience with this 66 yoa lady who is trying to figure this site out. Regards, Jackie

Jackie, I think you found the paper in her signature. If not, try this.

Badnights wrote this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7817

Click on it and it will take you to the post she wrote. At the bottom of her post, she signs her name and below that has the word AUGMENTATION and a link next to it. Click on that link to get to the information about augmentation. Let us know if you need help. In no time you'll be a pro at the board :-).

Managing Your RLS