First post INTRO

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
estibay7

First post INTRO

Post by estibay7 »

Hello, name is Frank, 57 years old. I've had WED/RLS for around 40 years. Started slowly, but got increasing worse through the years. Tossed and turned at night, needing to move my legs. Then everyday around 5 or 6 when I wanted to relax, legs would not let me, was like an electrical current was building in them. Nights were bed, couch, floor, bed etc., but I would piece enough sleep together to get by. My late 30's went to a sleep doctor, check iron level, was ok, tried Mirapex, did not work. Then a sedative, that did help a little, so took those for a while. When I turned 50 the RLS was really getting bad, I had to do something. Discussed it with my Doctor, tried taking Tramadol 50mg, WORKED. So I take that around 5:00pm and it really helped, but the down side is I am finding I need to increase the dose to get the same relief. Which I did know would happen, but does concern me that I'm so dependent on this medicine and also know RLS is not going to just good away. I'm trying to be proactive for the next move or thing to try next, if anything, which is why I am so glad I found all of you out there who know what I'm talking about, because most people don't. So I plan on being active on this discussion group, putting my take on your posts and also hoping on getting some insights from all of you.

ViewsAskew

Re: First post INTRO

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Frank.

So glad the tramadole is helping. Hope it does for awhile.

I think many of us feel that if we were diabetic and diet alone didn't work, we'd be dependent on metformin or insulin. We're really the same. If we can't find something to help - diet, supplements, or similar - if we want to work and have a life, we're likely going to take something - and we may end up dependent on it - and to it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Dependency is not a problem per se, as Ann pointed out (and is not the same thing as addiction).

If you want to keep your dose of tramadol as low as possible, one of your options is to try adding a drug of a different class to your regimen. Gabapentin encarbil (marketed as Horizant) or the rotigotine patch (Neupro) are both approved for WED treatment. The former is an anti-convulsant, and may also help with sleep issues. The second is a dopamine agonist like the pramipexole/Mirapex you tried before.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As Beth suggested, I've found that alternating drugs is extremely helpful. An opioid (or tramadol) for a few days, then a non-opioid for a few.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

estibay7

Post by estibay7 »

Thanks Beth and Ann for the welcome and suggestions. I will talk it over with my Doctor. I've also been reading a lot of the posts, been learning so much. Very grateful I found you people. Frank

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm happy for that and I hope you continue to learn a lot, and your doctor listens to you about what you've learned, and works as a partner to help you find a solution.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.