Is day-time knee bouncing a symptom?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

Is day-time knee bouncing a symptom?

Post by Anonymous »

I'm a compulsive knee bouncer during the day. Really.. I can't stop it. Everyoen teases me :( lol

I don't get much sleep and I don't know why. I dunno if my legs move at night or not. I wouldn't be suprized.

Pareksens runs in my familly

Post by Guest »

Sorry... I didn't end with a question... oops

Anyway, do you guys think Daytime Knee bouncing is a symptom?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think I've read that there is no relationship to daytime leg bouncing and RLS. You could have both, though, but they wouldn't be related. Parkinson's is not related to RLS, either. Not getting enough sleep. . .could be many causes. Doesn't mean you don't have RLS but based on what you've said, there's nothing to indicate that you do. . .but I'm not a doctor either :) .

Ann

Post by Guest »

Well, on sunday I saw a doctor on T.V. Talking about it. (Thats why I'm thinking about it) He said that doctors saw similaritys in Parkensens and RLS so they were perscribing parkensens drugs for it now. The FDA just approved a new Parkensens drug for RLS. That's what made me think they were related.

I also have strange muscle jerks as well. Night and day time. No strange sensations though. I used to get strange burning on the skin of my legs... but I havent had that in a long time.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The relationship between RLS and Parkinson's is that in both cases the person can't uptake enough dopamine. But the causes are completely different and if you have RLS you are no more likely to get Parkinson's that anyone else. However, once diagnosed with Parkinson's, you are more likely to get RLS just because the brain isn't producing/uptaking enough dopamine.

Because people with RLS also can't uptake dopamine, they are prescribed Parkinson's drugs.

Does that make sense? Not sure I explained it well.

I'm not sure about muscle jerks. Some people with RLS might have them, but the primary characteristic is an uncomfortable sensation in the legs (or other body part) that is relieved by movement. These sensation happen primarily at night and happen when the body is at rest - like sitting watching TV or laying down to sleep.

Ann

violoboist

Me too!

Post by violoboist »

I knee bounce! My boyfriend gets really annoyed with me, especially when he's trying to watch TV!

It's very reassuring to find another bouncer!

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

i'm no doc either, but I do have RLS/PLMD and i bounce a LOT during work. just to keep the pain down.

??????

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let's see if I can clarify what I meant :roll: . Leg bouncing alone does not mean you have RLS/PLMD. But you can leg bounce and have RLS/PLMD. I sometimes find myself leg bouncing or leg-waving (back and forth instead of up and down) and usually that means RLS is pending. It's like PLMD. 80% of people with RLS have PLMD, but there are a lot of people who don't have RLS but do not have PLMD. So mayb leg-bouncing is like that. Some people with RLS also leg-bounce, but a lot of people without RLS also leg-bounce.

So on it's own, leg-bouncing doesn't mean RLS. Pain doesn't mean RLS. PLMD doesn't mean RLS. But all can mean RLS in some people.

Have I thoroughly confused everyone? :lol:

Ann

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Views, you did an excellent job of explaining. Just because you leg bounce, doesn't mean you have RLS. But I have had RLS for years and have leg bounced for years also. For me, it's a way to ward off the symptoms that I have during the day, luckily for me they are pretty mild for now. I used to get in trouble during high school for it and the teachers told me it was just a nervous habit I should break. Now I know better. Usually when I find myself leg bouncing, I get up and walk around awhile. That seems to help a little.

Kris

leg bouncing

Post by Kris »

I have always been a leg bouncer. I do it to keep my legs comfortable. I am also a rocker AND I am always moving my arm and twisting it back and forth and flexing my hand. I have RLS and its always there - even during the day. Its just very painful at night. Then I'm stretching and hitting on my legs and not bouncing.

Kris

leg bouncing

Post by Kris »

I have always been a leg bouncer. I do it to keep my legs comfortable. I am also a rocker AND I am always moving my arm and twisting it back and forth and flexing my hand. I have RLS and its always there - even during the day. Its just very painful at night. Then I'm stretching and hitting on my legs and not bouncing.