I wanted to introduce myself

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks Sara!!!! :D
It was good i think. I will try before bed to see if it will help with sleep. maybe get more that 4 hours tonight????

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

Oh, gosh, wouldn't that be WONDERFUL for you!!!! :D

Sara

PS... Just realized, this is the first time in quite a few days I've not had pretty persistent RLS at this time of the day! :D

ANGELGIRL

HYpNOTHERAPY

Post by ANGELGIRL »

I'm glad the hypno worked for you. In my case my hypno used - imagine your hand with a rubber glove on it. Imagine that the hand with the glove on is in anesthsia. Imagine that it is very heavy and you can't feel it. Then transfer the same numb feeling to my left shoulder,neck area. I have a plate in my neck with 4 screws and suffer from chronic pain, fibro, rls. I get some releave but not for any length of time. I like going because of just getting control of my feelings and relaxing my muscles. In turn I get less muscle spasms which decreases my pain. I would rather go for hypno then take more medications. Like in your case - the migraines -sometimes the side effects from the drugs cause more problems.

Well good luck. I'm glad this is helping you.

Keep in touch.
Lori
POODLES RULE

mattdom1

mirapex for rls

Post by mattdom1 »

Hi. I'm new to this board. Does anyone else take Mirapex for rls? My doctor started me on it about two months ago. It seems that if I don't take it at least around 6:30-7 pm I start to go nuts with the feeling in my legs like I can't keep them still around 9:30-10pm! I can't relax, I can't sleep. I'm driving my husband insane because I flip around like a fish in bed! Does anyone have any advice for me? Maybe anyother suggestions on a different med for rls?
Please help! :shock:
stephanie

CherBear

Post by CherBear »

Peguin - the hypno treatments sound really neat. My prob is I can't get my brain to stop reeling. That's part of my issues with sleep as well. My brain just doesn't want to shut off at night. Then add the pain and rls, so forget sleep. Last night was horrible - I was awake every hour on the hour. Then when I DO get sleep - I dream crazy things and end up waking up throughout the night. UGH!

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Cheri

I cannot stop my mind either....but when you close your eyes and picture the most beautiful place you can imagine and "go there"

Oh don't get me wrong I don't think this will be the "end"of anything. Night sweats, dreams that keep running over and over again....nightmares....seeing the clock turn hour by hour......

I sure hope you do much better tonight.

Loves Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

Cheri and Dawn--

I used to have a LOT of trouble with my mind racing at bedtime, insomnia and recurrent nightmares (from the time I was a pretty small child). I think that for ME, it's connected to my lifelong chronic anxiety disorder probably more than my RLS, but who knows, right? :wink:

I just thought I would ask y'all briefly... have you ever noticed any difference in these problems depending on what you eat? And, do you follow any regular, habitual bedtime rituals?

I have found that I SELDOM have the racing brain, insomnia or vivid dreams any more, and I think that I started seeing improvement when I started being very consistent in always reading in bed-- always fiction, never anything too thought-provoking, never ever anything scary. Takes my mind off my day, my tomorrow, my RLS to some extent, etc., and then I have taught myself to keep the sleepy feeling I get reading when I turn off the light and after, and usually I roll over and fall asleep fairly well on an average night. (DON'T hate me, oh, totally-sleepless ones... I'm not trying to rub it in! :oops: :wink: )

I also find that some foods can increase my racing thoughts, insomnia and bad dreams. Sugary things are especially bad for me in the evenings. If I eat anything dessert-y, I always try to eat it midday now, and that seems to work out better. Snacking on simple carbohydrates (processed flour foods) late in the day can also make this worse.

This may have nothing to do with RLS... but anything that MIGHT help our sleep is VERY important around here, so I just mention it for what it's worth. :D

Take care, and I'm WISHING for good sleep for you both! (And anyone else I might have missed on this subject.)
Sara :D

jan3213

Guess Who~~~

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan~~~

I'm going to add another wrinkle. I never snack at night. I never have trouble FALLING asleep. I just can't STAY asleep. How's that for another wrinkle. <sigh>

During my sleep study, I fell asleep within 5 or 10 minutes, slept from 10:30 until 12:30, had a dream, woke up, and the rest of the night, woke up every 1/2 hour, IF I even went to sleep.

That's the problem. My mind races if I stay in bed during my waking moments, so I leave my bed and go to the computer, and, strange as it may seem, it calms me down.

At home, after I'm at the computer for a while (sometimes it takes a little while, sometimes as long as an hour or longer), I can go back to sleep. The sleep clinic atmosphere really wasn't a completely fair representation. However, it did show that I am in a lot of pain and that I do wake up a lot at night.

If I don't stop butting in, I'm going to run out of all of my two cents! hehehe

Hugs
Jannie
No one is alone who had friends.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Jannie--

Thanks for making that comment. It reminded me to clarify something. When I was referring to insomnia, I wasn't talking about the going TO bed, either. Like you, NORMALLY I went to bed relatively well. BUT I used to sleep for a few hours and if ANYTHING woke me, even for a moment, I would be DONE. Awake for hours, with NO hope of falling back asleep until MAYBE 5 or 6 am.

Quitting junky food late in the day helped this, as did, I believe, a more sanguine mental state at the start of the night. The only times I seem to have a LOT of trouble going back to sleep these days seem to be when my RLS is really really bad.

For what it's worth, not going to bed too late also seems to help ME, because the more tired I get, the harder it is to get to sleep and sleep well... but I have milder RLS than others here.

Take care everybody.
Sara :D

RestlessNGa

Post by RestlessNGa »

Penguin, I found your post on hypnosis interesting. I took several psychology courses in college, and there are several references to self hypnosis. We even had experiments on the subject.

Several years ago I went to a class that helped people to lose weight by hypnosis. I use it at times when taking a very warm bath, it is very relaxing. The hypothesis is that it is close to meditation but on a deeper level.

Glad you got rid of that nasty migraine...only now your hand has a migraine!! I know, its a warped sense of humor I have!! lol

Glad you are feeling better.
Patricia