is it rls?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

is it rls?

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all I am new to the site. I heard about this on the radio. I was never sure what I had. About a year ago, I had leg cramps so severe at night that even the strongest pain killers would not calm. The pain would start as my legs relaxed at night to go to sleep but stop at my calves. My calves would turn to rocks and no matter how much I flexed, it would not work. I tried ben gay, hot water bottles, everthing it seems. Good thing I was not working at the time, because I would not get to bed until 4 am sometimes. It got better after I started to take potassium and magnesuim each night. I still get the cramps occasionally, mostly when I am stressed though. I was wondering if this was rls. Any help would be appreciated.

becat

Hi and Welcome

Post by becat »

Hi and welcome Jbodnovich,
Well Jbod, I'd have to say in my most unmedical opinion, yes, sounds like RLS that is similar to mine.
That stretching all the time and getting nowhere. That feeling like you've got a toothache deep in your legs. Pain medication in the right form and dose does work well for me. But the cal/mag, not potassium, does not do much for me. But I'm a lifer with RLS and may just be past that stage.
I will tell you that if vitamins and minerals help you right now, I'd stick with that as long as possible. As medications are not the easiest answer, but necassary for many of us, not all. Finding the right medication and the right dose is often a matter of trial and error and TIME. So I am glad that works for you.
Education is your very best defense with this disorder. I'm listing some good reading links for you below.
the first is a starting out link in the general topics thread.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

There other is along the same lines just a little older and a bit more spread out.
but useful websites.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94

Of course your more than welcome to post anywhere here that you want. We learn from each other. Sorry you needed to find us, but glad you are here now.

Gabigal13

sounds like it to me

Post by Gabigal13 »

Yeah that sounds like RLS. I have similar symptoms, mine don't hurt by my muscles tense up and i am up until 3 or 4 and its awful. I have found sleeping on the floor is the only way i can get comfortible when i am dealing with them. I guess i can press my legs down on the floor. i dunno, its sucks. but at the same time my mother has RLS and her legs jump and move by themselves, so it varies a lot from person to person. Good luck, I hope you can find some relief.
gabi :)