New to this site

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Twitches

New to this site

Post by Twitches »

I have had a twitch for as long as I can remember some days and nights are worse than others, some times not any twitches at all. Here lately it has gotten so bad, I can;t sit still at all. I am seeing a neurologist in two weeks but until I do not know how to deal. Also, am fearing what drugs he will put me on. I am not a pill taker. Any advises is welcome??

Rustsmith

Re: New to this site

Post by Rustsmith »

Welcome Twitches! Take your time looking around the information on the bulletin boards, if you haven't already.

For non-drug approaches, take a look at the section on Physical Treatments. There are a variety of things that individuals have tried, both with and without success. One of the unfortunate things about WED is that what works for one individual can be completely useless for another.

As for you coming visit to the neurologist, if the doctor diagnoses you with WED/RLS you can probably expect a recommendation for either pramipexole (Mirapex) or ropinirole (Requip). Both are dopamine agonists, DA, and have been very effective first line treatments for quite a while.

You should also be forewarned that not all doctors are as familiar with the treatment of WED/RLS as others. Hopefully your neurologist is familiar with WED and is up on the latest treatment options. One way to judge might be whether the doctor asks you to get a blood test to check the ferritin level. Ferritin is not included in a normal blood test, it has to be requested specifically. If the doctor doesn't suggest it, you should ask for one, especially if you are prescribed a DA. When you get the results, don't accept that it is "Normal", get the number. Normal ferritin for non-WED people is anything over 20, but for us it needs to be greater than 50 and should be more than 100 for anyone taking a DA.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Re: New to this site

Post by debbluebird »

Welcome. It's even possible that a small dose of Gabapentin might work fine. It will make you sleepy at first, but most people even out. Good luck.