Coming off Ambien and other meds...need some advice

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
RestlessNGa

Coming off Ambien and other meds...need some advice

Post by RestlessNGa »

Just to summarize...I was dx with MS and took shots/treatment for this...recently found out it is RLS after sleep study and other testing.

I have taken Ambien for years to sleep because insomnia was one of the first sx I had. I then was treated for depression with Lexapro and Xanax for anxiety. :cry:

The neurologist I am seeing now wants me to stop all medications, which I have done. I have not taken the Ambien in two nights...today is the pitts and I see no cherries anywhere!! lol

I did have to finally take a Xanax last night to help get to sleep, this morning I feel the "hangover" effect which is why I don't like to take them.

Is there anything other than the OTC meds for sleep that any of you do to help. I know that coming off of these are not going to be easy since I have taken the Ambien for 9yrs, and the others for about three or four.

I am beginning to think I am just menopausal due to age!! lol
I know I can't be this old yet but I am...I looked down and saw my mother's hands! lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Patricia

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Patricia, I can understand stopping all non-RLS meds, but what about something to help the RLS? I'm curious as to his thought process! Is he not sure that you have RLS? It must suck to be you at this moment in time :wink: ! So sorry that you are going through all of this.

Ann

RestlessNGa

Post by RestlessNGa »

I thought I answered this already...don't what happened. lol

Ann, I am taking Requip and Tramadol for RLS. I was taking all the following but not everyday.
Allegra(as needed)
Ambien(daily)
B-12 (weekly)
Copaxone(daily for MS)
Nexium(as needed)
Topamax(daily)
Provigil(as needed)
Premarin(daily)
Tramadol(as needed)
Xanex(as needed)
Lexapro(daily)
Librax(as needed)

I probably had a few I left out...he thinks that some of the meds are causing the sx to be worse.
I have enough to start my own pharmacy!! lol

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

hey patricia, Doctors are dam crazy people!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe how they told you to just stop all meds overnight that can be very dangerous. I dont know everything you are taking but I know for a fact that stopping zanax too fast can cause alot of very dangerous side effects. A friend of mine ended up in the ER with panic attack so just wanted to let you know to be careful. All the best ~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I know what you mean! My therapist asked me what meds I'm taking and when I FINALLY finished the list, she laughed and asked me if i have one of those daily pill box containers, YES I DO!

Lol...it's ok. I can think of worse things to be laughed at about.

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

RestlessNGa

Post by RestlessNGa »

Ain't it the truth!!! lol I do feel some better, but then I am not at work so I can sleep when I finally crash. However, this is not going to help if I go back to work...

I can't function with out sleep...already tested that one myself, I got written up after nothing but excellent reports. The Requip does help but the problem I can't seem to get him to understand is...

I don't fall asleep to begin with, not what goes on after I go to sleep!!
Maybe I'll just move in with him and his family for about 6 months! lol
Bet that would get his attention when I turn the TV wide until 4am and then get up before he does at 6am. lol

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Patricia. I LIKE that idea! That might INDEED get his attention and give him a bit better feel for what you're dealing with on a night-to-night basis.

Have you sent a quality of life statement to Becat yet, by any chance? She's collecting them, and that's the closest MOST of us will ever get to letting our docs or the researchers "live our lives" with us.

I'm sure Becat would love to add one from you to the mix, with all the interesting things you've been through already on your RLS "journey".

Hang in there!
Sara :D

becat

I so should be in bed

Post by becat »

Ok I should be in bed, but I read this thread and had to comment.
Ok, and I'm not able to sleep anyhow......LOL yeah I know! Dagggguummm it have the meds, they work, and fear them cause of this (let's call it) upper respitory infection...shall we.... You know breathing is a Quality of Life I'm missing.

Anyway, good gosh Restless, what is your doc thinking. O, he must not be. You poor thing, I'd be riding my broom through his office and YELLING like a mad woman.
Yes, you have to send me a Quality of Life statement (thank you Sara :) ), this is just how many of us view docs and just how they view us.
What kind of madman/madwoman thinks that the side effects alone of stopping all of these overnight, are not WORTHY of thought in this. Tell him/her I said UUFFAAAAAA. Dorkwad, sorry Dr. Dorkwad, no disrespect meant. Do move in with him and kindly explain that sleep deprivation is no biggy, Right? :) He'll learn to cope.
I do understand his thought in trying to see if medications have some bad effects. Can even understand that he may want to test you futher without some of these in your system. I can push myself to try to even out that his education far out weighs his bout of common sense.........
Requip is helping, that is great. But you've been on a sleep aid for (let's say) more than the 7 days it is suggested for. Hmmmmm Me too. I've been on it for about 1 1/2 or 2 yrs now continuously (sp?). I'm pretty sure he knew you won't be sleeping. And falling asleep well, bless you, until you can teach him about life.
nope, I think he needs to rethink the process, unless he gives you a darn good excuse. And I would be calling tomorrow. The sleep part is not making your RLS worse, so I think he should be willing to help you out there. Just my unmedical opinion.
Hang in there girl.
If you need my broom, it's turbo.......Think Jannie has a battery operated one. We can over night them if needed.
:D
Hugs to you all.

jan3213

DID SOMEONE SAY THEY NEEDED MY BATTERY OPERATED BROOM?

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jannie AND I'M MAD!

I know all about sleep deprivation, Patricia! Believe me, honey (hope you don't mind me calling you "honey"). I kinda feel like those of us who spend all night walking the floor, talking to ourselves because everyone else in the house is sawing zzzzzz's, are kind of "related", if you know what I mean.

I'm in the middle of a baaaaaaaaad bout of sleep deprivation myself right now, as my dear, dear friends Sara and BECAT know (sorry, I'll calm down - hehe - bless their hearts), and I understand totally the feeling the next day when you find yourself falling asleep without knowing that you actually are falling asleep until you feel your head jerking. The other night, I really, REALLY wanted my former neuro's home address. I don't know what I would have done with it, but boy the fantasies I had.

Luckily, I have found a new neuro who is finalizing some testing and I should, hopefully, have some relief soon. Sleep deprivation is certainly a BIGGIE. It is a very serious situation. Night and night after night. It doesn't mean that you NEVER sleep. It means that you never get restorative sleep.

I'm so sorry, Patricia. You need to find some help. This is very serious. It can harm your health, in so many ways. Yell, scream, cry if you have to. But, PLEASE, fight until you get some help. Quality of Life is your RIGHT. And, let's face it, if you get behind the wheel of a car, Patricia, you're are not only a danger to yourself, you are a danger to everyone you meet on the road.

Heck with overnighting my broom. I'll ride the darn thing to wherever you are and I'll help you get help! I'm just in the right frame of mind.

Good luck!

Jannie
No one is alone who had friends.

RestlessNGa

Post by RestlessNGa »

Yep!!! I have a baby off another forum(MS World) 'cause that is what the Dummy of Neuros thought I had, anyway...he makes these huge 2X4s that we use to knock the crapola out of docs that don't what they are doing. lol

My DH says that bet if I started cranking up those power tools at 3am it would definitely get his attention. I am sleeping a little better but...hey I am at home. I applied for disability last year and am waiting to hear from the appeal, if it is denied this time...I will probably try to work.

Know any employers that will let me work according to my sleep habits :lol: , cause I sure has Aunt Fannie's underwear stinks don't know any. :lol:

He thinks all the problems are caused by the RLS, from what little sense he does make, but I am not so sure. I could be wrong and if I am it will be the first time in 20yrs!! LOL

Oh yeah, no I don't mind being called Honey...I am known as Momma on another board and actually do daily insights for all my little chillens. I recently told them I was moving...that's the only way to get away from kids ya know...is to move!! LOL

I don't drive if I feel I can't concentrate...been there done that!! I drove from my work to home and don't remember getting there. I mentioned this to the doctor...his exact words...but you made it home!

The point is doc...what if I don't remember that RED means to STOP!!! Wonder if he would feel the same if his family was on the road at the same time. lol

I also have fatigue that was dx back in '96...just typing this makes my arms, hands and fingers hurt from the effort because the fatigue tires the muscles with little effort.

Sometimes I just want to yell at these medical gurus...

Ya big dummy!!