My Ferritin Levels

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
JustKeepWalking82

My Ferritin Levels

Post by JustKeepWalking82 »

Okay, I am confused. How in the hell does my ferritin go from 30 last year to 113 this year without taking ANY oral iron supplements and/or iron infusions? My symptoms have improved maybe 20% since last year when I got my ferritin checked last year, although it is hard to tell because my symptoms are severe/very severe and (unless I am on medication) prevent me from living/interferes with my daily life.
Marisa
Always know that there are good people in the world to pick you up when you fall down.

ViewsAskew

Re: My Ferritin Levels

Post by ViewsAskew »

Huh. I have no idea what a normal fluctuation might be. Do you eat lots of natural sources of iron?

If you are female, did your periods stop or change? I'd think that would affect it, but I am not sure.

I did a quick web search. "Ferritin is an acute phase reactant that in it can be elevated during imflamation, infection, cancer etc." This also means that it fluctuates easily.

But - this is my take after 3 minutes of research on something I know little about!

Interesting that it seems your symptoms have improved.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

That's quite a jump in one year.
I did a quick search and came up with .... high ferritin can be an indication of... diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, liver .... spleen.... etc etc etc
If it was me... I'd go speak with GP asking what GP thinks about ruling out possibilities.
In the meantime, it is good for your WED, I'd just get some clarification on how such a rise can happen.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Two things come to mind. One is what Ann mentioned, that ferritin levels (as measured) rise temporarily during infection of any kind. If you had a mild cold, even, during the blood drawing, that might have been enough to do it.

Since your symptoms are 20% better too, maybe it's not an inflammation-related rise. The thought that comes to my mind is food/guts. I am using diet to affect symptoms and have seen some real gains. Have you been eating more vegetables? Less processed food, less sugar/starch? There is no evidence I know of that any of these things help, except indirectly, the link between gut absorption diseases (Celiac, Chrohn's, IBS, SIBO) and WED.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.