Looking for recommendation of WED doctor in Idaho

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
kathleenbutts

Looking for recommendation of WED doctor in Idaho

Post by kathleenbutts »

Can't seem to get any feedback for a WED doctor in Idaho. I'd settle for one in Utah or Oregon. Please help. Much appreciated.

Rustsmith

Re: Looking for recommendation of WED doctor in Idaho

Post by Rustsmith »

kathleen, the WED Foundation's website http://www.rls.org has a tab "Connect with Others". One of the selections is Find a Healthcare Provider. If you select for ID, there are two doctors listed. One is in Moscow and the other is in Meridian.
There are also a number of other doctors listed for both OR and WA.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One caveat with this list....the doctors do not have to prove they know anything about WED. They just have to have interest in treating it. Some of us have found very good doctors here, and others of us have found the doctors are no more knowledgeable than our GPs.

I used the list, years ago, to call the nurses and ask the nurses their opinion about the doctor, explaining I had a difficult case and wanted to know how many patients the doctor saw. The nurses were surprisingly honest with me.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

kathleenbutts

Post by kathleenbutts »

Hi, I asked the question...

I have been to the WED list also. I would like to get recommendations /feedback from others who have already been to a doctor and found them helpful with WED.

I'm not having any luck calling the front desk of a doctor's office and speaking to any of the nurses unless I am already a patient with a particular doctor. Thanks.

Please let me know if I should be posting this question on a different topic forum. I have tried the "doctor recommendation thread" and didn't get any res ponse.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nope, you're in the right spot. People tend to come here when things are most difficult. When everything is fine, you forget to stop by. So, at any time, there may only be 50 to 100 people regularly reading the board. And, many people aren't comfortable sharing about their doctors, it seems.

That's terrible that the nurses won't talk to you! I wonder if they'd let you through if you went ahead and made an appointment as a new patient. You could simply cancel afterward if the nurse thought it wasn't a good fit.

It is just terrible what we go through to get the right treatment.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

kathleenbutts

Post by kathleenbutts »

Still looking for a doctor in either Idaho, Oregon, Washington............I am desperate...........my legs are driving me crazy and I can''t sleep. Help!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There is a Dr Buchfuhrer in California and at least one of our members travels to see him. It appears that after an initial appointment he is willing to help at long distance.
Dr Buchfuhrer is very supportive of the Foundation and has written many papers and books and I would recommend that you buy the book "Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome" by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening. Make sure you order the Second Edition. This is available on Amazon and is the WED/RLS bible for many sufferers. When I first bought this book I worked my way through it, it is full of post-its and pencil notations. When I go to my GP we both use this book for guidance. My GP is not well versed in WED but is willing to cooperate and use this book.

Dr B will also respond to email questions and many of us have written to him on occasion. An answer is usually received within a couple of days often much sooner.
I think his address is - somno@verizon.net
Someone please correct this address if necessary.

All of his letters and responses appear on the Southern California Support group site.
http://www.rlshelp.org/
Go to the RLS Patient and Reply letters for much interesting reading.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I participate in a social media site that has been collecting doctor referrals for a short time. My primary word of caution with this site is that many of the participants have the milder forms of WED, so the doctors on their list may not be familiar with treatment of severe or refractory WED.

There is one doctor on that list in Seattle. Her name is Dr. Sarah E Stolz. Let me know if you need contact info for her.
Steve