symptoms in arms/rest of the body?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
mama.liz07

symptoms in arms/rest of the body?

Post by mama.liz07 »

Hi! It's been a long time since I was on the board. I just have a quick question. Over the last year or so I've notice Il'l get urges to stretch/flex my muscles--mostly arms and hands, but sometimes other parts of my body. And not just a cozy stretch...but I'll need to stretch/flex really hard for a count of 2 or 3, then the urge goes away...for a little while. This happens during the day too, not just at night, but not everyday and not all the time. Comes and goes.

I've wondered if something is wrong with my muscles and have researched a little about that, but found nothing similar. But, just this morning, it clicked that maybe this is related to WED. I don't remember reading anything about it effecting parts of your body other than legs, but then again, I wasn't looking for anything except info on legs. I don't have time to research right now--we have my son's b-day party this morning and then showing the house this afternoon (trying to sell, whew ;-)...would love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and if it's possibly related to WED.

Thanks so much!!

Polar Bear

Re: symptoms in arms/rest of the body?

Post by Polar Bear »

I have symptoms in my arms and legs, sometimes it is only legs, and sometimes it is only arms.
The symptoms follow the same pattern as my legs, move them, wiggle them about, above my head for arms stretches is best. Often my arms are going like a windmill.
WED/RLS symptoms can occur in many places, the shoulders, buttocks, face, etc.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Are you taking a dopamine agonist? Many of us notice symptoms in our arms or other body parts when we augment.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mama.liz07

Post by mama.liz07 »

It sounds like it's likely RLS...it's so similar to the way you described...and so similar to the feelings in my legs. And yes, arms and hands--stretching helps best.

Freaks me out a little. I'm 34 and symptoms are just slowly getting worse all the time. More PLM's at night (or RLS feelings so strong it wakes me up in the middle of a stretch--never can tell which is first--chicken/egg sort of thing). And now sensations in other areas. Trying to hold off on meds, but I guess it's just a matter of time. Will I even be able to sleep in 20 years? Whew. Has anyone else had their symptoms start in their 20's/30's? Do you just stay on meds for your whole life? What about augmentation (sp?)

Oh, just saw another post right as I was posting this. No meds yet...but it's getting close. Trying to keep up with my two boys and homeschooling with so much broken sleep...it's probably not good for me. Some nights are better than others--which means I wake up a bunch but am able to fall back to sleep. Other nights...ugh. Lots of wake-ups, wiggles, stretching, flexing, and aching. I have tried a few drugs, but the side effects were bad so I stopped...wasn't worth it...yet.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, it's good that it's not about augmentation.

Have you had your serum ferritin And hemoglobin tested?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mama.liz07

Post by mama.liz07 »

It's been a while. Last check, ferritin was 90+ but hemoglobin was barely above normal (12 I think). Might be good to get those levels checked again--I've pretty much just been ignoring the issue (I mean, while stretching flexing, and wiggling of course, lol).

badnights

Post by badnights »

Don't ignore the iron levels, both hemoglobin and ferritin. Keeping those up might save you from needing medication - and don't start a dopamine agonist medication with low ferritn (I wouldn't chance it with low hemoglobin either, just because).

In fact, don't ignore anything diet-related. Make sure you're eating LOTS of vegetables of a variety of types, and cut out processed food, cut out sweets, and cut down on starches. Since you can only hold so much food, you have to make sure that everything you eat is a nutritious as possible, when you have a disease like this. Your body needs the ammunition to fight it, and the only place that's coming from is food.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Since your iron seems very low to start a DA, you might think about kratom. Just a little bit would probably be very effective, since you haven't built up an tolerance to anything yet. If you search these forums, you'll find a good deal of info about it. I love it, and would not consider taking any prescription meds.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Because your hemoglobin is on the low end, it certainly wouldn't hurt you to take iron. Who knows, it could help.

Managing Your RLS

mama.liz07

Post by mama.liz07 »

Thanks everyone. I will definitely get my blood work done. We've had a series of family health issues, while trying to sell our house--I've just pushed it to the back burner. But realizing it's effecting other parts of my body has certainly gotten my attention.

I have pretty good sleep hygiene and a pretty good diet (mostly natural, low sugar), but need to eat more veggies and probably more exercise would help too.

I already take iron everyday too. It seems to help keep my ferritin levels decent, but doesn't help my hemoglobin. That has never been higher than 12. Any ideas on how to get hemoglobin levels up?

Is there anything else I should get tested for while I'm at the dr?

Thanks so much for your help--good to get back on here and remember I'm not alone with this craziness.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Lots of things can reduce hemoglobin - and many that you wouldn't think of. For example, some tea is a problem. If you do a search on anemia, you'll find many things you can do in your diet to help. My BFF was down to 8 (yikes) and I remember her telling me some of these things.

But, for women, menstruation can be a problem. Especially if you have fibroids and heavy periods. It's just hard to keep it up.

Managing Your RLS

mama.liz07

Post by mama.liz07 »

Yup, I do have rather heavy periods. Better than they used to be, when I really was anemic, but still heavy. I just need to eat steak and spinach everyday, lol. :-)

Thanks again for everyones answers!