RLS or Movement Disorder?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Nosleepwed

RLS or Movement Disorder?

Post by Nosleepwed »

Help!
I am a very exhausted newlywed! My new husband moves his legs for hours on end every night. He sleeps right through it and I wind up bailing out to the couch. He says that he is always hot, nothing to do with the newlywed status :wink: , he says his legs are always looking for a cool spot. His scissors his legs every 30 - 40 seconds, pulls them up to his knees, then flops down again, then starts scissoring or doing horizontal jumping jacks. What does this sound like to you folks? And what can we do about it? I need to sleep!
Thanks!

becat

WELCOME NOSLEEPWED

Post by becat »

Welcome to our club. I'm not a doctor, just a lifer RLS.
You need to get your hubby in here to read up on the ride of his life. You should as well. My mom calls it BED GYMNASTICS. But I bet your hubby will find himself in the different postings here.
There is help out there. This site can help you find a Doctor in your area that can work with ya'll.
Most important thing is to arm yourself with information. Educate yourself and your hubby in here. Many Doctors are highly unaware of this syndrome and it's treatments. You may also need to know that it may take a while to find the right treatment.
CONGRATS ON THE WEDDING AND TRUELY, CONGRATS ON FINDING US.
We'll help anyway we can.
Good luck.

sleepywed

What should we take to the Doctor?

Post by sleepywed »

Thanks for the welcome Becat! Are there any suggestions on what to take with us in the way of information to our doctor? I've made an appointment for June 11th and want to be armed and ready with as much info as possible on RLS so we can ask intelligent questions. Is there a particular posting I should be looking at?
(I am now sleepywed vs nosleepwed due to logging in problems :oops: )

Sleepywed in Palm Beach!
Sleepywed in Palm Beach

becat

tons of information

Post by becat »

Hi Sleepywed.
Ok, start with the medical and scientific info on this site. Just above where your reading here. There is tons of stuff for you to print out and take with you. You can leave it with the doctor, you may have to educate him as well. Your side of this is important for the doctor to know about as well, since your husband seems to be asleep through most of it. You can also find listings of Doctors in your area on this site that know about RLS.
The postings here are from those of use that suffer and live with RLS, and our family, friends. We come here to share ideas, ask questions, support one another. You and your husband will gain alot from just picking through different things, such as medications and we share tons about medications. We come in here to vent, your allow to if you need to. Take some time and just start reading. This may be a good place for you to better understand what he's going through. There is no cure as yet, and many different forms of RLS. You never know you could teach us something about how others view us. Keep us in the loop and feel free to chat with us anytime.

Queenie

This sounds like me!

Post by Queenie »

This is exactly the same thing I do and the reason I am up at this hour.
I've spent the last 10 min walking around my living room!

Queenie

becat

hi queenie

Post by becat »

I'm so sorry your up tonight. I wish, for myself, as well as the rest of use there was something I could do other than just listen.
Come and talk with us here anytime.
Hope sleep finds you soon.

jumpyowl

Separation

Post by jumpyowl »

Dear Nosleepwed!

I know this suggestion sounds like sacrilege to a newly wed couple but this is what I would do. Since there is nothing romantic about being kicked numerous times during the night, and not getting enough sleep, the very first thing I would do is to make arrangements to sleep separately!!! And I mean in independent beds. It could be a king-size bed with independent matresses but that may not be effective enough.

I hope your husband is understanding enough to support such an arrangement. This would not show that you do not care for each other. On the contrary, this would show true caring IMHO! :)

Let me know what you think of this idea. You two may already doing it for all I know.
Jumpy Owl