Augmentation Starting Today

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
justkate

Augmentation Starting Today

Post by justkate »

Well here goes. I've had RLS for around 15 years take Requip to control. I've been taking 1.5 +mg but lately it has not been working. I want to get back to .5 to 1mg so since I'm off work until next week I've decided to get off requip for a few days to see if it helps. I've read the posts on augmentation and this seems the best way to go. Its 3AM and my right leg and arm are going crazy. I did take .5 of Clonazepam to see if it would help me sleep but so far no luck. My question is how will I know when its time to see if just .5 of the requip will work again. This forum is a godsend. When my arms and leg act up its my go to. Reading that other people are going thru the same thing helps. I think I have.a few rough days ahead.. thanks for your support.

Polar Bear

Re: Augnentation Starting Today

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck to you girl !

From what I've read, I would expect that it would take about 2 or 3 weeks (more time might be better) to get the requip out of your system - and then try the med again.
I wonder would you start at lower than .5mg to begin with ??

You are off work for a week - It might be a bit optimistic to hope to get off requip in a week.
Be strong.... this is not easy.
No doubt other good opinions will follow in due course.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You might get it down yourself...you might not. It can be very tough to do.

Some info might help us.

1. What dose did you originally take?
2. When did you need to increase it the first time, if you remember?
3. When did you increase to the 1.5 mg?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

hercman4239

Post by hercman4239 »

Here we go again. My Mirapex is in augmentation again. Its been rough for around 2 weeks but I had other problems I needed to take care of first. Ann I took your (and others) advice and cut down my doseage from various high amounts to (2) .5mg tabs/day. The last time I had Mirapex augmentation problems, I was back on Mirapex in 4 days. I was taking 300mg Lyrica caps/day and 10/325 Norco tabs as needed. The trouble was Lyrica and me don't get along and this time I am using Neupro patches and hope it all works. When I first get back on Mirapex after augmentation I can get by with a .5mg tab for a while but end up @ 2/day. Are there any new RLS drugs out?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Once you augment twice, the literature says that you should NOT use dopamine agonists regularly again. Also, a four day break really likely isn't enough - most doctors have a person switch for at least a month. As you know, a .5 mg dose is considered double the amount any of us should be taking.

There are no truly new drugs out. It's the DAs, the alpha two deltas (gabapentin, etc), and the opioids primarily.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

hercman4239

Post by hercman4239 »

Well its my 4th day into showing Mirapex who is boss but we already know who that is. I have already tried all drugs that I know of, Requip, Neupro patch, Lyrica, Neurotin and none of them worked. I have RLS all my life but it was a minor problem. After I grew older and retired is when it became a major problem. I still did not treat it or did not even know anyone else had it. I finally talked to my Dr. and we started meds. None of them worked until we got to Mirapex and it finally helped me control it. I still kicked all night long (so my wife said). The last few yrs is when augmentation has ruined things for me. I think if I quit Mirapex for a month I could quit for ever. What drugs would get me thru the hell of withdrawal of Mirapex? I hear about opiods and how they help but how to get them is a problem I think. The last time I was in augmentation and was 4 days into it I could not stand it and I tried a Mirapex and it worked. And that is why I was out of augmentation and I doubt that will happen this time but the others around a week or so. Well I better get off here my legs driving me crazy.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The only way is to suffer terribly or use an opioid. It's really not a fun thing.

Managing Your RLS

hercman4239

Post by hercman4239 »

Well I went thru my Mirapex Augmentation for 7 days of hell and could not take it anymore. I have been back on Mirapex for about a week, but have cut down to .5mg/day and seems to work.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well done for making it for 7 days.
Is your .5mg mirapex daily a reduction (from twice daily).
If so, you have made a gain and I hope it stays like this for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation