Recently noticed RLS - and the urge to vent about it

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Shir0gane

Recently noticed RLS - and the urge to vent about it

Post by Shir0gane »

First of all I'd like to point out how much of a relief it is to finally be aware of what has been screwing up my life for the past 15+ years and to have found an active community to share.
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
Due to the resulting social isolation I don't have much friends left to talk to, and even with the few people still around I can mainly hope for sympathy, not empathy.
I've made appointments with various physicians, the earliest coming up with my general practicioner in early May. The appointment with a neurologist, however, isn't due to mid August. All I can do right now is sit around and wait. I imagine most of you do know very well the most excruciating thing for a RLS afflicted person is to sit around and wait.
So I hope I don't bother anyone by telling my story, conditions and sharing thoughts and observations I've made these last few days.

I can't really tell for how long I've been actually suffering from my condition, but the insomnia became heavily noticable about 15 years ago. I've had increasing trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, resulting in circadian dysrhythmia which effectively screwed up my daily life. Chronic fatigue, avolition, concentration disorders, restlessness, anxiety, efficiency loss, social isolation, depression, you name it.
I tried to manage somehow on my own, since the physicians I visited weren't able to provide help; some even accused me of messing up my circadian rhythm.
All of them, however, suggested psychological therapy which I never persued since I didn't feel the origin of my disorder to be mental; I always felt it to be physical.
In early 2009 I thought I found a new hint and went to, yet, another physician, got an entire check-up, including a 24h EKG and whatsoever. In addition to elevated blood pressure he discovered a minor hypothyrosis (which was already known to me - though untreated, since it was varying) and we decided to try a hormone treatment. I also went to a nearby psychologist/neurologist to help with my increasing anxiety. He prescribed some depressant (I don't know what kind).
I have no clue if it was the hormones or the depressant or the combination of both, but my condition worsened by the day. I was unable to enter deep sleep, remaining only in REM sleep, still disturbed every few hours, until exhaustion took over and the REM started to bleed into the waking. I began to hallucinate.
Apparently I bothered my neighbors, so they called the police and I got locked up in a psychiatric ward for four months, diagnosing a psychosis and schizophrenia. I got heavily drugged and sedated, until they finally released me with the statement there was nothing they could do for me anymore.
It took me about half a year to re- and interact with my environment again, another half a year to regain my language faculty and yet another half a year to be able to think clearly.
It's been five years now since this episode, and the insomnia remains.

When I stumbled upon the term of RLS the first time through popular media, several years ago, I could relate instantly, being all too familiar with the uncontrollable, subconscious urge to rock my leg/foot. I even remember my parents telling me to stop wiggling/fidgeting. The very restless leg...
But I didn't give it a second thought, dismissing it as an annoying, yet simple nervous issue, unable to imagine the severe impact it might have.
Recently I stumbled upon the term once again and while currently having a hard time sleeping anyway, a few days later I literally woke up with my foot shaking.
Both occurances combined had me look up RLS on Wikipedia for the first time. And, boy, was I in for a revelation!

Except from the very apparent evidence of constantly rocking my leg I found myself familiar with most of the symptoms. For some of them I had to start observing myself since the whole process became automated and subconscious over time.
Though the restlessness is occuring throughout my entire day it's getting worse in the evening. Occasionally I'm also experiencing PMLD, during and outside of sleep.
To even initiate sleep I need a long process of calming down by reading or watching TV-shows, during which I noticed only now the constant swimming motion of my feet (the picture of a cat's tail also came to mind).
If I'm able to sleep at all I'm at least awake once a night (currently it's up to three or four times), getting up to use the bathroom, and I found it helps to have a small snack to fall asleep again.

The only symptom I wasn't familiar with up until now is the often described 'creepy-crawly' feeling. Now that I know about this I'm noticing it as well. I would describe it as tingling, warmth, pressure.
I would never have related it to the urge to rock my leg nor describe it as particularily unpleasant, but I guess motion might be a subconscious physical reaction to literally shake the feeling off. I do know a rare sensation of pain, though.

All of that being told, please allow me to share some observations and suspicions I came across reviewing my lifestyle and daily routine.
I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

- I'm a smoker. I've never felt my smoking as much of an addiction to nicotine than the relief being caused by the motion of the act itself. I always felt it more like somehow physically expressing myself.
- In very early childhood I developed a behavior my parents called 'ribbling'. I take a small fold of soft fabric (clothes, usually) between two fingers, rolling it back and forth.
- I tend to gnaw on my lips or scrape at my nailbeds, sometimes to the blood.
All of these patterns increase especially while being in public (which causes stress, nervousness, anxiety). I figure over time I somehow realized the attention a restless leg draws in public and developed compensatory behavior.

- I find myself frequently going to the bathroom, even without an actual need to release myself.
- I've been overweight for almost my entire life. Eating compensates for the energy I should be getting from a good night sleep. I notice this when the insomnia is worst.
- I'm having heavy, often disturbing dreams, which I can now relate to the restless sleep and the urge to move.
- I'm experiencing heavy, almost quaking heartbeat while lying down and trying to get to sleep.

Concerning compensatory behaviour I have a few additional notes:
- My 'going-to-sleep-ritual' includes next to reading or watching movies/TV-shows a glass of mild alcohol and two to three joints (marihuana). That's what it takes to effectively calm me down. It might be counteractive to the sleeping attempt, but it keeps the anxiety in check since I quite often experience fear of even going to bed; fear of the insomnia; fear of my dreams.
- Exercising is close to impossible. I simply lack the energy due to the constant sleep deprevation. Activity in general is exhausting.
- I do release myself sexually every night. The post-orgasmic relaxation helps in finding sleep.

And one final thought I've had earlier regarding the creepy-crawly feeling. While trying to describe it I had the sensation of blood massing up in my legs (hence the warmth, pressure, tingling, also the often described pulling or pins-and-needles).
It is a known fact that when in state of fear the body redirects blood into the legs to be able to run away.
So this is just a wild guess, but I was thinking: if RLS somehow causes to pool blood into the legs it may explain the constant urge to move.

Thank you for listening.
I welcome any thoughts and input
'Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death.'
Princess Bride

jul2873

Re: Recently noticed RLS - and the urge to vent about it

Post by jul2873 »

Oh my. Your medical conditions sound so complicated and severe that I hesitate to offer any advice at all. But I certainly send my sympathy, and my wishes for you to find a competent doctor who can address your many health issues. Please keep posting, and letting us know how you are doing.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Although there are many facets of your story with WED that many of our members will read and nod and see themselves in, your is also probably the worst case of patient abuse by a series of physicians that I think that I have ever read. I am even sure where to start on that. So I will leave it that the various physicians and institutions involved should feel fortunately that they are not located inside the US where you would be able to sue them and probably win enough money to support yourself for the rest of your life.

On the brighter side, I am so glad that you have found us and I can personally appreciate they joy of finding out that the doctors were wrong and that there is a "simple" explanation for what has been making life so difficult. I went for six years under the care of a neurologist who had no idea what was causing my problems and when I presented the diagnosis and treatment to her, she tried to take those over and mess me up even further.

So, I really wish you luck with both the GP and the neurologist appointments. You deserve to finally get ones who are able and willing to treat your very real symptoms without blaming them on you and something "in your head".
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would suggest that you get this book, it is very easy to read and is exceptionally informative. It may also be a useful tool for you to help explain to your doctor/neurologist. It is also an excellent guidance for doctors who are not well informed in RLS/WED.

Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening. Make sure to get the second edition. These Authors are at the top of the league when it comes to the treatment of WED/RLS. It can be found on Amazon.
You can mark relevant sections for discussion and information.

Also, have you had your ferritin serum level checked, this is pretty important. It is a blood test that is not normally done with routine blood works and you need to ask for it. This tells the level of iron stored in your brain – and that is what is important to us sufferers of WED/RLS. We need a level of around 100, especially if a doctor should suggest taking a DA drug such as pramipezole or ropinerole. When getting the results of this test please ask your doctor for the actual level = do not accept ‘normal’ as an answer. Doctors and Labs may consider 20 to be normal… but it isn’t normal for us.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Shir0gane

Post by Shir0gane »

Thanks for the input and feedback, guys.
It feels good to know that I'm not alone with this.

I'll make sure to inform my physicians and have my ferritin level checked.
About the book... it sounds great, but it's pretty expensive. I'm afraid I'll have to save up some money before I can afford this ^^'

Rustsmith wrote:the various physicians and institutions involved should feel fortunately that they are not located inside the US where you would be able to sue them

Believe me, the thought had crossed my mind...
'Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death.'
Princess Bride

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

If and when you can manage to buy the book you will find it very comprehensive and worth having for your own reference and information.
Also to help inform/advise and back you up when discussing your situation with your doctor.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The older version of the book is similar enough that it is worth having. At least where I am, I can find a used copy of it for around $1 plus shipping. You may even find the 2nd edition used for a very low price.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.