Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
lhoff12085

Post by lhoff12085 »

I've just joined the group after being diagnosed this year at age 59. I almost started to cry in the doctor's office. Someone finally took me seriously. I was taking a ton of ibuprofen which prompted me to follow through w/ my Primary. After 2 years, a reumotologist listened to me and made a diagnosis. My biggest issue is not sleeping bc of leg spasms. I'm on Requip now and it's pretty much taken care of that. I do continue to have daily leg aching. I exercise religiously - yoga, TRX, etc. - and have for years but find if I change my routine, I have greater pain. I find that stretching feels really good on my legs and gives short term relief. Walking always feels good. I avoid doing anything where I have to sit for long periods e.g. theater, movies, lectures. I'm retired thank goodness so have more flexibility with accommodating my issues. I've just seen a neurologist for the 1st time and made a post about it.

I live in Sarasota FL. I was not able to get into see one of the website recommended neurologists in my area so tried someone w the same practice as 2 of them. That may have been a mistake. Thanks to some thoughtful responses to my post, I've got some ideas on how to handle the followup appt.

Laura

ViewsAskew

Re: New Member

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Laura. Isn't it such a relief when you finally know????
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lhoff12085

Re: New Member

Post by lhoff12085 »

Yes, thanks Ann. I felt I wasn't taken seriously or didn't want to take the time to work w me to find an answer. With a diagnosis, I can know be better prepared for the neurologist. I'm grateful for this discussion board. Laura