Leg Cramps

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Grady

Leg Cramps

Post by Grady »

I have been diagnosed as having RLS and placed on Mirapex which has worked wonders for me. Instead of requiring 12 hours of sleep to feel rested; I now only require about 8 and have much more energy! However, every night I awaken with leg cramps several times per night and the only relief is to walk until the cramp ceases. Is this a symptom of RLS? If so, what can I do to alleviate this malady? :?:

becat

Hi Grady

Post by becat »

Hi Grady and welcome to the board.
I'm so glad to hear that the Mirapex is working so well for you.
Sounds like my legs at night. They just get so tight I have to move them. However, the best way to describe yours might be Charlie Horses. Not all people with Charlie Horses have RLS, but certainly RlSers might be more prone to them.
Couple of things.......
1. What time are you taking your Mirapex and what is the dose?
You may be able to add part of your total dose at night to help with get you through the sleep you seem to be getting. It may just need an adjustment in timing or dosage to get you over though this.
2. You may try a good dose of calicum/magnesium at bedtime to see if that could offer any relief. I'm not saying it's a cure all, but boosting that right before you go to bed may bring benefits. It doesn't work for everyone.
3. My favorite, but again it does not work for everyone. It's just a cheap try and see thing. Works great for me when I cramp up.......A bar of soap in between you sheets and mattress pad. Hotel size and unwrapped. No Dove or Dial. I have at least three in my bed. try it and see, if it doesn't help, no great loss.
Past that, you may have to bring this up to the doc at the next appt.. Your doc may wish to adjust the medications or add something. If your getting 8 hours and still having to wake up during that time, you'll be shock at how fast your body will see this as a habit or something it must do. I hope you find something that helps soon.
Sorry you had to find us, but glad your here now.
Check back soon, others may have a different thoughts for you.

ogfuller

Leg Cramps

Post by ogfuller »

Hi Becat, thanks for the reply. I take .25 mg of Mirapex at bedtime. I get the "charley horses" or cramps both in the back & front of my legs. Sometimes in the feet. I take 1500 mg of calcium per day so that should not be a contributing factor. Yesterday, I did a lot of physical labor, sweated a lot and drank lots of gator aide. I only had one cramp last night. Did the extra sodium & potassium do the trick for me?

I just wondered if these cramps were symptoms of RLS or something else? They sure do interfere with a real good sleep.

Grady

becat

Hi Grady

Post by becat »

Hi Grady,
I'm sorry, absolutely the cramps at night can be RLS. Yes, that could be apart of your RLS. My muscles pull, there is not cramping involved. And yes, I often am up walking and stretching around 3-4 am...Hey down to once last night good for you. Helps to sleep when your not trying to get comfortable, huh?
Your not on that big of a dose of Mirapex, maybe that needs to be adjusted....? not sure, it may help. Maybe a call to the doc is in order to keep this cramping down at night for you. He/she might have a different idea about it.
Several of theories being talked about with the dopamine medications are:
1. keep the dose small and upping it isn't always a better way to go.
2. For some people it will build up to the point that you need a "drug holiday" from it or anything that you take on a regular basis. Finding something that works as well, normally pain meds to substitute for 2 wks or so, before returning to your regular medication.
3. If it stops working, take a bigger dose and spread it out. (this is not a favorite among people taking these meds.)
I did that hard labor today. We'll see how well I fare with mine. Sounds like something you did worked. I've been walking everyday as well, maybe some activity is helping. Honestly, this is a personal issue. Some can do well with some activity and others it make their RLS worse. I know some of the people here excercise just before bed to wear out the limbs for relief. I won't be one of those. I'm just trying to help hubby during rehab from surgery and maybe myself a tiny bit. :)
Many believe that salt or sodium is bad for RLS, which kills me I love salty things. I have cut it by alot, for the sake of the hubby, heart healthy diet.
Grady, my dear I have no idea about potassium.......If you live where I think you live (TX), them you need all the liquids and minerals you can get. It's hot already. It can't hurt to replinish what we're losing working outside. I do much better during the winter, love to go outside and freeze my legs. Can't find that kind of relief in TX. during the summer.
Have a good one. Let me know what you decide worked for you.
hugs to all.

Hope

magnesium

Post by Hope »

I think I've read that magnesium is good for cramps, too. And quinine is good for cramps I think thats why doctors used to prescribe it for RLS because they thought people with RLS had some kind of cramp so drinking some quinine water helps some people, too.