HELP! How do I get answers to questions re using this board?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
prpl luv

HELP! How do I get answers to questions re using this board?

Post by prpl luv »

I went through the steps of private messaging 2 members via the Discussion Board. Both messages are listed in "Outbox" rather than in "Sent" folder. What is the difference between these 2 folders? I could not find the answer by searching FAQ's etc.
When I tried to contact a moderator or administrator by replying to the email informing me that my account on "Restless Legs Syndrome/Willis-Ekbom Disease (RLS/WED) Discussion Board" has been activated by an administrator, my reply email was returned as undeliverable. (The email to which I replied was shown as being sent from rlsfmods@gmail.com and the reply to address was shown as rlsfmods@aim.com.)
In searching for an answer to my question about private messaging, I came across the email rlsfmods@aol.com, so I tried to email my question to the latter email address. But my email to rlsfmods@aol.com was also returned as undeliverable.
This has been a very frustrating experience. The RLS Discussion Board website needs to show very clearly how to pose questions about using the Discussion Board. I did not PM a moderator because I am not sure if my private messages are actually being sent.
Gayle. Searching for non-drug ways to treat my RLS

Polar Bear

Re: HELP! How do I get answers to questions re using this bo

Post by Polar Bear »

prpl luv - I'm sorry you have found your experience frustrating.

When a message is in your Outbox it means that the person you sent it to has not yet 'picked it up'. Once it is picked up it then goes to your Sent Folder.
The letter you receive telling you that your Account has been activated is automated.

The Moderators on this Discussion Board are volunteers and we all do our best to keep it running smoothly.
However, I'm sorry to have to tell you that I am the one Moderator with limited technological ability -
It won't be long until another Moderator will be along who will be able to explain your difficulties and provide advice with regard to the various email addresses.

Again, I apologise that on this occasion I am not the best to help you - but I did not want to leave your post without a response.
Help will arrive soon.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

prpl luv, sorry for the confusion. Hopefully I can shed a bit of light on the issues that you have raised.

1. Outbox versus Sent - This is an excellent question that I actually had to go back to the supplier of the software that drives the board to get an answer. When you send a PM, the system places it in the Outbox until it has been read by the other person. When that person opens your PM, the system moves it from the Outbox to Sent. So, if you have messages in the Outbox, the other person has not yet opened them. There are three reasons why this could be. 1) The email address that the recipient has on file with the system is old or is not being read, so the person does not know that they have a PM, 2) the person has not logged onto the board or 3) the person did not notice the message counter on the User Control line to see that they have a message waiting.

2. As for the Moderator email addresses, believe me this is a greater frustration for me than it is for you. The problem is that we have had to patch together a system to keep this discussion board functioning while the RLS Foundation moves and updates their IT systems. We normally operate using our AOL email account, which for some historical reason with AOL is rlfsmods@aim.com. However, due to spam blockers with a number of the major email systems (such as hotmail.com and outlook.com), we could not send out any of the messages from AOL because our emails were getting blocked. We have a temporary work around using the gmail account, but it is only used to send, not receive emails. Hopefully the Foundation's IT updates will proceed far enough sometime soon that we will be able to replace ALL of these accounts with one that is RLS.org. Believe me, that day cannot come too soon for me.

3. So if you want to try the PM system again, please feel free to send me a message. I promise to open it promptly when it arrives.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One additional thing - well, two, really.

Most people use the message board for asking questions. Just ask. Post right here. That allows a lot of extra people to answer. I often tell people who PM me that I would prefer to answer a post - then everyone learns from it.

Also, as a protection to our members, you have to make 3 regular posts before you can use the PM system. Or, at least we used to. We talked about changing it a few months ago, but I honestly don't remember what we decided.

So, please, write a post and ask away. We're here to answer.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.