single folks

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
edelman2

single folks

Post by edelman2 »

Hi,

I'm single and am wondering how do single people handle daily chores (cooking, shopping, laundry, etc.) when they have severe RLS?
Any replies will be appreciated.

ViewsAskew

Re: single folks

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can only answer for myself - I take medications that keep the symptoms under control during the day so that I can. If I didn't, I'd not be able to do much. For me, that was one of the biggest factors in choosing to take medication.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

edelman2

single folks

Post by edelman2 »

Hi,

I meant how single people handle severe rls with 2-3 hrs of sleep a night, doing everyday chores (laundry, cooking, shopping, etc.). I typically need 8-9 hrs of sleep and
rls is fairly new for me.

thank you

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

edelman2 wrote:Hi,

I meant how single people handle severe rls with 2-3 hrs of sleep a night, doing everyday chores (laundry, cooking, shopping, etc.). I typically need 8-9 hrs of sleep and
rls is fairly new for me.

thank you

Ah. That part doesn't seem to matter - and in some ways can be easier. I've been alone, with kids, with a partner - here is my experience.

Interestingly, research seems to show that many people with RLS/WED are not as tired as others who get so little sleep. While I typically need 8-9 hours of sleep, too, when my RLS is active, I can manage with as little as 3-4 hours. When I get less than that, things get pretty bad.

What are you doing for your symptoms? Have you had any tests - such as for anemia, to see what your serum ferritin is? Do you have any idea what set off your symptoms - for example, are you taking new medications or has anything else changed?

Also, when single, I found I had fewer issues in some ways. With a partner can come misunderstandings, arguments, and many other difficulties. 25 years ago, I thought I had met with the person I'd spend the rest of my life with. We lived together and I helped raise his children. We made plans. When my PLMS became severe, we started sleeping in separate rooms. Then we started sleeping on separate schedules. I didn't realize how much harder I was going to have to work to keep the relationship healthy when we lost the intimacy of sharing a bed - I don't mean sex, but the closeness, the snuggling, the sharing. A few years later, we called it quits.

I've been with my husband since 2001 and while we are happy in many ways, it hasn't been easy at times. It's been darn hard, actually. He has been more understanding that I could ever have hoped - but this has tested us over and over.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Orrel

Post by Orrel »

I saw Dr. Earley on Tuesday and he told me that RLS people should not be
concerned if we don't get the 8 hours of sleep that so many people say we 'should
have to maintain health and well being. We don't need it. He has one patient
who is extremely high functioning on 3 hours of sleep. He also told me that
autopsies have been done on the brains of those with RLS. Less than average evidence of
dementia, including Alzheimer plaques, was noted!!!

edelman2

Post by edelman2 »

Thank you both for replying to me. I function of 3-4 hours of sleep and it does not seem enough.
Inna

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

It wasn't enough for me either, which is why I started taking kratom, a mild, legal opioid that you can buy on the internet. There are a number of threads here on it that you can check. I went from sleeping 2-4 hours a night to sleeping 6-8, and often with a nap. Plus, for me, no side effects except for mild constipation, that I can handle with a little extra magnesium. Good luck to you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't think it's enough for me, either. I just think I do better than others would if there had so little sleep. Some of us seem to do better than others, though.

Are you doing anything to help - taking iron, using medications, taking other substances?

Managing Your RLS

edelman2

Post by edelman2 »

I'm bipolar so I'm on a lot of meds that cause or worsen rls. I took iron and it caused major constipation, so my neurologist had me stop the iron
intake. I'm on Horizant and it seems to help with the symptoms and a bit with sleep. I take 900 mg usually, and if I can not fall asleep I take 1200 mg.
I will definitely try kratom. Thank you for your responses.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There are several ways to increase the iron in your body. If you have a lot of constipation, you could see if magnesium would help relieve that (it does for me). You could also try - though it is expensive - using FLoradix or a similar product. A friend of mine couldn't take regular iron for her low hemoglobin and used Floradix, a liquid iron product. It allowed her to keep her hemoglobin higher until she could resolve the iron loss issue. You could also try docusate (Colace is one name brand) which is a stool softener. It helps tremendously. You could separate the dose into smaller doses. Always drink a LOT of water when you take it. Better yet, drink a glass of orange juice with each tablet - it helps with absorption. You could also switch to a non-sulfate form of iron.

Managing Your RLS