Returning member

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Greensea

Returning member

Post by Greensea »

Hi,
I joined this group years ago, but haven't visited since 2007. My RLS has been up and down, and is currently up. I was on anti-depressants for a while, which actually seemed to help. I'm off them now, though, and my symptoms have gotten worse. I take clonazepam on an as needed basis, which has been every night. About half the time, it doesn't help, so I get up and walk around, and that usually does the trick. By the time all of this happens though, I've generally lost 40 to 1 1/2 hours of sleep. So I'm looking for new alternatives.

Sabrina

ViewsAskew

Re: Returning member

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome back, Sabrina. So sorry that your symptoms are worse. Just curious, what antidepressant (AD) were you using?

Stress can definitely make symptoms worse - do you feel that you are more stressed since stopping the ADs?

What other medications have you tried?

Have you had your serum ferritin tested? It's not a cure-all, but increasing your ferritin has been linked to a decrease in symptoms.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Greensea

Post by Greensea »

I was on Wellbutrin for 1 3/4 years (stopped this past June), and Zoloft for 6 months (last year). It was the Wellbutrin that I felt seemed to help. I do get my ferritin checked. I've been taking an iron supplement (Vitron-C) for quite a while. Right now it's every other day. I don't think ferritin levels are my current problem, as they were normal the last time they were checked. At that time, I wasn't taking iron at all, but started again when the symptoms worsened. Stress... I don't think I'm any more stressed now than I ever am. A little less, probably, as my job situation recently changed for the better.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You say that you get your ferritin checked and that last time it was normal.
Many doctors and labs consider a level of around 20 to be normal.
Sufferers of RLS should aim for a level nearer 100.
Perhaps you could check with your medical practice what your ferritin level was last time it was taken.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Greensea

Post by Greensea »

Yes, since I've been reading on this board I plan to do that. Thanks.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Makes sense that the Wellbrutrin helped. It doesn't necessarily help, but it rarely hurts. And because of how it uses dopamine, there is some belief that it could help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Greensea

Post by Greensea »

I had bought some Taurine, based on discussions I've read here. I took one before bed last night. No RLS, and I didn't wake up until it was time to wake up. One night isn't enough to think everything's fine now, but given that I've had issues every night without fail for many weeks, it's promising.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I see that Taurine is deemed to benefit seizure disorders and as seizure medications are a line of treatment for RLS/WED it is possible that some people may find benefit.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation