Could it be RLS?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Steve Rup

Could it be RLS?

Post by Steve Rup »

New to this site, but not new to leg issues. I am 39 years old and it seems as I age, the leg issues are getting worse. I rarely sleep the whole night, maybe 3 hours per night because so many times, I awake with one of my legs feeling restless. It is not painful, but rather a numbing, burning feeling that keeps me from relaxing and falling back asleep. It can occur on my thigh or calf and sometimes ankle and often I find myself stretching and hitting my leg, yes hitting, to try to stop the feeling.

I have no idea what to do. I have tried Flexeril, Tylenol and other medicines, but nothing has worked. Very rare, am I able to relax and actually sleep. The feelings usually occur more at night and especially when I lie down.

Does anything I revealed give any indication to RLS?

Steve

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Steve. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry you're having such trouble, but you sound like you're in the right place.

Increased discomfort as you age, increased discomfort at night/at rest, difficulty getting relaxed/falling back asleep, sensations hard to describe but not including pain are all pretty common with RLS.

Some of our members do have actual pain, but lots of us don't... or don't all the time. Sometimes the RLS sensations are so intense, it's ALMOST like pain for me, but usually it's "just" a creepy-crawly, vibrating, "white noise" type feeling, which I get mostly in my feet and ankles. But when I have bouts of 24/7 RLS, I often feel it around my knees, too. And other members speak often about RLS in their thighs. We also have people who get the sensations in their arms, back and on their heads.

I think that nature of the problem being neurological is why Tylenol and such don't help. There are quite a number of different medications people here take, as well as some vitamin/mineral supplements and other non-pharmaceutical strategies. I'm sure others will welcome you, and you might benefit from reading past posts as well. There's a lot of information here, and a lot of people with a lot of wisdom and experience.

Wishing you rest.
Sara :D

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Steve,

Welcome!

I too have the pain. And yes, I also hit my leg to try to stop the pain. I also stretch my arm out to try and stop the shaking and the pain. Some times, I scratch myself so much I draw blood. Have you experienced the itching?

Sara spoke of some having pain. Yes, I am one of those ones. I've been taking Super complex B vitamins. My B12 levels and iron levels are right on so no need to take more. My neuro has placed me on Requip.
Now, I take .75 mg of Requip and 1250mg of Tylenol for Arthritis at night and it does seem to help. Get thru the night anyway.

I also have PLMD and Fibromyalgia. In other words, with the RLS/PLMD/Fibro, I move all day and hurt 24/7. This is all new and I'm lucky to have a doctor that listens and a Neuro who completely respects my doctor and they've been keeping close contact with each other.

If you need to vent, PLEASE DO. We are all here for each other!

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin