finances

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
edelman2

finances

Post by edelman2 »

How much do doctors at John Hopkins charge? How often does one has to see them if Dr B says that ones case is complicated?
What about Dr B? does he take on new patients, what are his fees?

ViewsAskew

Re: finances

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have only been to Dr B. My first visit was the plane fare, car rental, and his office visit. I stayed with my cousin, so that part was free. His first visit - and it was at least 30 minutes, if not longer - was $300. With the car rental and plane fare (I had a great deal on both), the whole thing cost about $600. But, that was several years ago. Could be more now - his staff would tell you.

My followups are by phone or email. He works with me whenever needed to get things under control. I do have to see him each year. These visits run between $100 and $150, if I remember correctly.

At the time, my local doctor wasn't doing a good job and required I come in every month. I had a high deductible, so had to pay $150 every month to see her. It was much less expensive to fly to CA and see Dr B (who could actually help me) than continue to see this doctor locally.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I see Dr Ondo in Houston. His operation is another of the Foundation's Quality Care Centers. He recently moved his operation between research organizations in the Medical Center in Houston, so I cannot say what his current cost structure looks like. The last charge that was processed by my insurance shows that his list rate for a regular office visit was $214. However, no one really pays that amount. The insurance negotiated rate was $135. From past experience with other doctors, an uninsured rate would probably be slightly less than that.

As for timing of appointments, he expects to see patients once a year if they are stable. He is also available for advice or adjustments to treatments between appointments via email or phone (through his nurse). For patients whose treatment is less stable, he reduces that to every six months. It is possible to see him more frequently, but it often requires about two to three months to get an appointment since he does not see patients every day.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

edelman2

Post by edelman2 »

Does anyone know about John Hopkins because that is where Dr B sent me?