Success, I think

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
vidman64

Success, I think

Post by vidman64 »

Hello all,
I so appreciate this forum, as you has given me information, to pull me out of this hell. I have felt your pain as it started 10 days ago, on and off, then took hold the third day, and by the 4th day, I had very little sleep for 4 days. This condition was where, when I would start to go to sleep at night, my right calf, sometimes my left would give a small spasm, and the only way to relieve this would be to move my foot. This would cycle approx. 30 sec. Standing up and walking around stopped, but sitting to try to rest it would start up. Only when the sun came up, could I sleep for a few hours before it would start again This is when I joined this forum. I have now been 4 days without any re-occurrence and I am on the following protocol:
1.Taking ferrous sulfite 325mg, with a 1000 mg of vitamin C(as my was at 5 ml ( should be at least 200ml) 1 a day between meals (at least 1 hour or better yet 2 hours before or after taking food.
2.Started walking(I sit behind my computer 5 hours a day(very bad) about 5 blocks to an from.
3. I will now get up from my computer every hour, stretch my legs, walk around for 5 min,
4. Stopped alcohol all together (I used to enjoy 1 or 2 glasses of wine with my dinner every day),
5. Reduced caffeine to only a small cup of coffee with my breakfast, none for the rest of the day.
6. Cycle down about 1/2 hr before retiring for the night with soft music.
7. Around 11 pm get into bed with hot pad under both calves for about 30 minutes.
Also, if this further help, I am 75, male, retired (thank god, as I am sure by my 6th day I would have been fired) 5' 8"was 220, now 190, going for 170, taking nexium, benicar, wellbutrin (doc said this is the only anti-depressant that will not aggravate rls) prevestatin, asprin, and rythmol. If you need further information, I will be glad to share.
I hope this will help some of you, tho I wish this would be for all, as I painfully have read your stories, and I have been truly moved by your struggles. My prayers are for you all. Hang in there, as so far, information has set me free, and it may also for you
Good luck and Regards,
Millard

jul2873

Re: Success, I think

Post by jul2873 »

I just did a quick search on the internet for "statins" and "restless leg syndrome."" Lots of sites popped up. I looked at a few, and a number of people do think that statins cause, or make worse, RLS. So you might investigate the prevestatin as a factor. And, while you're at it, you might investigate the research for taking a statin when you're elderly. I'm 71, and female. I have high cholesterol, but--since I have no other risk factors for heart attacks--the info I found convinced me that there was little benefit and great risk in my taking a statin. Good luck to you!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also take a statin. Two months ago I discussed stopping the statin with my doctor when I wanted to check were all my medications now necessary.
He did my health review, including my immediate family history and my last cholesterol level which I thought wasn't too bad.
Hmmm... He has changed me to a stronger statin and advised that my risk is too high to consider stopping the statin. In two weeks I will attend to have a blood check done.

Fortunately, I previously did not appear to have any negative impact on my RLS, nor with the present statin.
vidman64 - I hope you continue to be symptom free for a long time.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Satins can cause muscle-induced myopathies. I wonder if some of that might be confused for RLS... So far, I've seen no research that implicates statins or shows any correlation. Statins are also linked to cramps, something that has been misdiagnosed as RLS in the past. And, as we know, it's very likely to have two similar disorders together but think it is only one. In such a case, if you had neuropathy and RLS or cramps and RLS, but thought it was only RLS, if you did something to treat the cramps or neuropathy, then you'd think you'd helped the RLS.

In a past Nightwalkers (a benefit of being an RLS Foundation member), this was published:

"First off, let me say that I gained valuable information from your website and eventually went on Requip for treatment; however, six months ago I went off my cholesterol medicine because my joints hurt and my muscles were weak. At that point, I started having RLS symptoms earlier every day. After two weeks of being off Crestor and Lipitor, I no longer have RLS. I feel so much better that I am actually able
to exercise. Please spread the word.

Kathy Mendoza

Editor’s Note:Muscle aching or pains are a common side effect of statin drugs like Crestor and Lipitor that reduce cholesterol. This side effect often warrants discontinuing thestatin drugs. However, there is no known link between statin drugs and RLS. As these drugs may prevent life-threatening hear t attacks and str okes, they should not be stopped without the supervision of your doctor (especially as discontinuing these medications are very unlikely to help RLS)"
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.