Is this RLS or just hypochondria?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ShunterAlhena

Is this RLS or just hypochondria?

Post by ShunterAlhena »

Dear all,

I'm 27 years old, male, doing a computer job and driving a car, so lots of sitting.

I'm prone to catastrophizing and imagining conditions and so I'm looking for some rational input. Is this RLS?

Sometimes I feel a "tightness" in the front of my thighs (quadriceps). The muscles want to be stretched. It's not painful or uncomfortable, it's just there, like the feeling you have right after waking up when it just feels so good to stretch. I can easily resist the feeling or forget about it if something has my attention. There is nothing similar in my calves or any other part of my body. It seems to occur throughout the day with about the same intensity, doesn't really get worse when lying down. Also, once I start drifting off to sleep, my brain seems to turn the signal off, it hasn't interfered with my sleep so far.

The part of my health that can be diagnosed seems to be excellent: no neuropathies in my legs, all blood levels nominal, everything seems peachy. I exercise 4-5 times a week, follow good sleeping habits and don't have trouble sleeping in general.

But of course I'm worrying myself sick that this is RLS and will get worse and ruin my sleep and thus my life. I read about this condition randomly a few months ago and ever since I have this dread. Unfortunately the self-diagnostic articles on the net are too vague.

What is your opinion?

Polar Bear

Re: Is this RLS or just hypochondria?

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to our discussion board.

You say that you can resist the urge to move and it doesn't get worse lying down. It seems that it doesn't get worse in the evening.
To have these would be very strong indicators of RLS.

These are questions which help us pin point RLS.
1. Do you experience the urge to move?
2. Is the need to move overwhelming to the point that you cannot resist moving your legs?
3. Will the urge to move increase if you are in a confined position?
4. Do you have symptoms both sitting and lying?
5. How long do you need to be at rest before your leg symptoms begin?
6. Do your symptoms only begin when your legs are in a specific posture?
7. How quickly do you get relief when you start moving?
8. Do your leg symptoms occur when you are walking?
9. If you have obtained relief with walking, do the symptoms ever return while you continue to walk?
10. When are your symptoms worst?
11. When you are symptoms least?
12. Do you find your symptoms are less in the morning?

A main aspect of RLS is that you have the urge to move, an urge that cannot be resisted, and that when you move you eventually find some element of relief from your symptoms.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

Dear Polar Bear,

thank you for your post and time. My answers:
1. Do you experience the urge to move?
Yes.

2. Is the need to move overwhelming to the point that you cannot resist moving your legs?
No - it stays at a constant low level, I can sit like this for hours.

3. Will the urge to move increase if you are in a confined position?
Doesn't seem to make any difference. If in the confined position, my thigh muscles are stretched, then it feels better.

4. Do you have symptoms both sitting and lying?
Yes.

5. How long do you need to be at rest before your leg symptoms begin?
A few minutes perhaps.

6. Do your symptoms only begin when your legs are in a specific posture?
No.

7. How quickly do you get relief when you start moving?
When stretching - immediately. When walking - not really relieving.

8. Do your leg symptoms occur when you are walking?
Yes, I can still feel'em.

9. If you have obtained relief with walking, do the symptoms ever return while you continue to walk?
They don't go away in the first place :)

10. When are your symptoms worst?
11. When you are symptoms least?
They are quite constant on the days when they decide to stay up. Of course I'm more aware of them at night because I have less to occupy my thoughts.

12. Do you find your symptoms are less in the morning?
A bit, maybe.

Thank you!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd guess it's something else. One of the keys is that walking works for RLS/WED - any activity. The other is that RLS/WED - at least as far as I'm aware of - always builds into something where if you didn't move (walk, exercise, run, do yoga - any kind of movement), you'd feel increasingly distressed and anxious about needing to move.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas about what this might be!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Hi Shunter,

I had mild, intermittent RLS for years, and my two daughters have it now. Our early symptoms weren't anything like you are describing. I vividly remember being at a party, forty years ago when I was quite young, and feeling like I just HAD to get up and move. Everyone else was sitting and I was walking around the room, trying to look natural. I had the same feeling occasionally on airplane rides. Very gradually, the symptoms became more frequent, and I now have them every day.

So the early symptoms weren't different, just infrequent. I could never just ignore them; I had to move around. That doesn't sound at all like what you're experiencing, so my guess is that you have no indications now that RLS may be in your future. Hope so. Good luck!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mine was much as jul2873 experienced. Initially, I wasn't sure and didn't want to have it - my mom and grandmother did. Then, one day I was sick and stayed home from middle school. I took something for my congested sinuses. Little did I know it had dipenhydramine in it or that this drug bothers folks with RLS/WED almost every time. It made me sleep and I laid on the couch to nap. The sensations in my legs and the need to move was SO strong, but I could hardly keep my eyes open. It was the worse couple hours - physically and mentally - that I could ever remember having at that point in my life. I still remember it!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

"So the early symptoms weren't different, just infrequent."
This is exactly the insight only an actual person can tell you and not the generic articles on the Net. Thanks everyone who replied to this thread - this is very relieving.

Rest assured that I do have my own cross to bear (tinnitus), so life is fair in this regard :), but hopefully I don't have RLS as an added "bonus".

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope you get to the bottom of your symptoms, they don't appear to have any resemblence to RLS.
Good Luck.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

I've been worrying myself sick over RLS, spending days reading all about it, and now I'm afraid I really have gotten it. I woke up around 5AM, visited the washroom, felt the usual tension in my thighs and thought "I'm sure glad this isn't RLS". Then after I laid back I got the urge to move my legs. No sensations, just an urge and a feeling of abject terror. It intensified, my leg felt a bit warmer, and then I HAD to move both my legs. I did, and then got a full blown panic attack which for me includes involuntary leg shaking and tremors. After the panic was over I laid there for ~40 more minutes until I had to start the day - during this time I had no more urges.

I'm sure hoping this was just the product of worry. Right now I feel like I'm living a nightmare I cannot wake up from.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

"""and then I HAD to move both my legs. I did, and then got a full blown panic attack which for me includes involuntary leg shaking and tremors. After the panic was over I laid there for ~40 more minutes until I had to start the day - during this time I had no more urges."""

ShunterAlhena - no sensations, felt warmer (looks like it was only one leg felt warmer), But HAD to move both legs.
When you moved your legs was this while laid back or did you get up and walk about.
You had a panic attack. You stayed laid down and had no more urges.

It sounds to me like you are saying you were laid down while moving your legs.
With RLS I think you would have HAD to get up and onto your feet to walk about.
Betty

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

After the urge and the panic got unbearable (without any tingling etc sensations), from my side I rolled onto my back, stretched the legs, then got the panic attack. I stayed in bed for the whole time.
Afterwards still in the bed, no more urges for about 40 mins.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Seriously ...... with RLS symptoms you would have been unable to stay in bed.

I think you need to get back to your GP and get yourself further checked out.
Searching/researching is all very well but many symptoms will fit many conditions and often alarms us unnecessarily.
Betty

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

Once again, thank you your time and reassurance! Hopefully this thread will comfort other anxious souls as well, referred here by Dr. Google...

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a sleep expert who will hopefully clear the suspicion of RLS and then it's off to psychotherapy.

I'll post back tomorrow so that the full story is archived here.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck at your appointment with your sleep expert.
Betty

ShunterAlhena

Post by ShunterAlhena »

Posting back, as promised:
The sleep expert also believes that I'm being hypochondriac, obsessing way too much over this condition and creating a demon.
Nonetheless he said he cannot 100% rule RLS out without a test so I'm scheduled for polysomnography next Friday.
I'm not sure I agree with this - a sleep test can diagnose PLMD, yes, but as far as I know, the absence of PLMD doesn't disprove RLS, and its presence doesn't prove it.

Still no nightly symptoms, just this tension during the day, thank God.

My deepest sympathy and admiration to everyone afflicted with RLS. I don't think I could go on living with this condition, yet you somehow manage.