Can a tibial plateau fracture worsen RLS?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
lav14

Can a tibial plateau fracture worsen RLS?

Post by lav14 »

Hello everyone,
I am a returning member as my RLS has not bothered me in years. I'm a 60 y.o female and about 4 weeks ago I had an accident and suffered a tibial plateau fracture and torn MCL in my left leg. About 3 days after the injury, I experienced severe muscle spasms in my left leg when laying down to sleep which lead to practically no sleep for weeks. When I called the Orthopedist, he prescribed Flexeril, which I believe has made the spasms worse! I feel as though he's not taking me seriously and when I mentioned RLS, he just cut me off. He was not interested.

I took the Flexeril only twice. I am on other regular medications: synthroid, effexor, ativan, 500,000 vit D 2x week, ambian, singulair and linsopril. I also take supplements: Krill oil, zinc, grapeseed oil, and extra iron due to anemia. I also get intravenous iron every couple of months from the hematologist.

Has anyone had a similar experience where a traumatic bone injury increased your RLS? I am at my wits end and appreciate any helpful responses. Thank you.

ViewsAskew

Re: Can a tibial plateau fracture worsen RLS?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Any broken bones seem to possibly cause worsened symptoms. We don't know why.

Muscle spasms aren't typically a symptoms of RLS - but because it's hard to describe how it feels, that could be how you are describing it. I take it, sinve you've been here before, that you have some sort of urge to move that goes away when you walk, move, exercise, wake up, are mentally engaged, etc.?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lav14

Post by lav14 »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've had RLS since I was a child. That awful creepy, crawly sensation that is only relieved when I move or get up and walk. for some reason, since my injury, the creepy crawlers have turned into more intense sensations plus spasms.

It's interesting to learn that broken bones can worsen symptoms and somewhat of a relief

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Surgery and broken bones both are attributed to increased symptoms - pretty strange, isn't it?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I had the knee injury thing, but my WED/RLS didn't worsen until after (or during) the surgery. There is a link there that no one has figured out for sure, but loss of blood during surgery could lower iron stores and set off the RLS/WED. You didn't have surgery, so that wouldn't hold for you. There are definitely a lot of anecdotes about RLS/WED setting in or worsening after operations or injuries.

Your anemia might be worsening, too - - have you had your iron checked lately? How are your ferritin stores? Ferritin below 75 has been linked to worsened WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

lav14

Post by lav14 »

The anemia issue really makes a lot of sense. In answer to your question, I do go to my hematologist about every 3 months for an iron infusion. I plan on talking to the hematologist on my next visit in Jan. Thanks so much for your reply.