meds rotation for sleep

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
edelman2

meds rotation for sleep

Post by edelman2 »

hi,

Does anyone know of meds rotation for insomnia? What I mean is taking sleeping medications and rotating them so one does not get tolerant
of a sleeping medication. Are there sleep boards/forums where I can try to find information about this?

Thank you

Polar Bear

Re: meds rotation for sleep

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't know enough about sleep medications to know if rotating them would help.
I'd imagine that to do so, each one would have to work differently.
For instance, some doctors prescribe an anti histamine to help with sleep (but not good for RLS)
also, a 'normal sleeping medication'
also, the like of amitriptyline which is an old fashioned anti depressant that can help with sleep (but take a chance with RLS)

I've never used a Sleep Forum but I'm sure a Google Search would bring up quite a few.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know anything about it, sorry to say.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've never tried it. I imagine it would work, as long as the meds were sufficiently different.

There are two main categories of sleep meds that I know of, one being the benzodiazepenes which are heavy-duty (long half life, potential for addiction), the other being the newer "Z-drugs" which don't have much if any potential for addiction and have shorted half-lives (less likely to leave you groggy the next day). The Z-drugs are actually three separate classes of medication, with zopiclone (Imovane) and eszopiclone (Lunesta) in one class, zolpidem (Ambien) in another, and zaleplon (Sonata) in a third class.

You might want to ask your physician or pharmacist if meds in these three classes of Z-drugs are different enough from each other to make rotation among them effective in preventing tolerance.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.