New to forum, 35 yrs RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
stjohnh

Re: New to forum, 35 yrs RLS

Post by stjohnh »

Certainly doctors are partly to blame for some of the problems of getting medical care in America, but this particular one, restrictions on prescribing, is caused by overregulation. This is another example of the utter failure of the so-called "war on drugs."
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh - agreed. Of all of the complaints I've had, opioids and their use has been at the heart of it about 40% of the time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

An interesting part of the discussion with my new doctor yesterday was her response to my comment that no neurologist in my town or my PCP would write prescriptions for opiods. I said that I did not know the reason, but that it could be hospital policy. Her reply was, "yes, they have had a lot of problems with opiods down there", implying that it was a problem of prescription abusers who became addicted.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I"m lucky in that I've gotten opioids from a number of different doctors; sure I've been through bad times and doctors who didn't get it, but ultimately the system has served me well. I am in Canada, and it's no worse here than in the States: some doctors won't prescribe or refer or learn about WED, but others are good. Unfortunately, wherever you are, you often have to advocate for yourself to get the treatment you need for WED, and some people can't advocate for themselves. On the whole, though perhaps it's flavored by my personal experiences, it seems better in Canada as far as getting opioid prescriptions to treat WED. I haven't heard the greatest horror stories from here, like JakesMom and others whose doctors did them so much harm it makes me cry even now to think of it.

Imagine Ann if we did have a book. Every chapter another horror story, lightened by chatter about WED and the health care system and politics. If it was done right, it could be a sensation. One of those popular sensations that opens the public's awareness and makes WED a household acronym. (Am I fantasizing too much?)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Monday, March 28

Welcome today to

leibtag, who has RLS and is struggling with medications.

Take a look around to see if there is anything that helps. And please feel free to post a note telling us about your struggles and what information might help.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

lynncomb

Post by lynncomb »

One of the problems with doctors prescribing opiates, is that they have a tremendous street value, and people get them to sell for around $25.00 each. Thus, the label and large amount of drug seekers. My daughter works in a local ER and they have a regular group of seekers on a daily basis. So this all makes it much harder for someone who really needs stronger pain relief. Most of the regulations the doctors have to follow are set up by the DEA and FDA. My doctor gives me Norco for Fibromyaglia, which also helps my RLS/PLMS pain. But, I had to sign a form saying that I would get no pain medication from anyone else (DEA form), I also have to let him know within 3 days if I get pain medications from anyone else, ER, dentist, so on. State and DEA regulation. So some doctors just do not have the resources, time or money for all this record keeping, plus they get checked regularly. My doctor treats Fibro and chronic fatigue patients, so he is in pain management. But pain management doctors are really hard to find. So, it is the government, state and local hysterical people that make it so hard for people who need pain medication to get it. Local hysterical people/ people who think we are all junkies and going to shoot up the town. So, ask the doctor if you can sign the forms. It helps us and them.
Just another side of the story.
Peace and hope to you all.
By the way, no one will treat me for RLS/PLMS, because I have had bad reactions to all the usual medications.

lynncomb

Post by lynncomb »

Forgot a few things. I have to be drug tested twice a year. DEA required. And each new year I have to fill our an electronic form about my symptoms, illness' and pains levels, a lot of questions. DEA and State required. So they are making it harder and harder to get pain medication. I have had doctors just say they can't be bothered with all the new regulations.