RLS PLMD leaving scratches on legs

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
monida

RLS PLMD leaving scratches on legs

Post by monida »

Occasionally I'll awake with deep scratches on the back of my calves from my toenails. I am unaware that I do this and am wondering if anyone else experiences this phenomenon?

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS PLMD leaving scratches on legs

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hasn't happened to me - I do find that itching seems to set off the sensations so I use a LOT of lotion. But, I don't necessarily scratch in my sleep. Hope someone else has some useful info for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hasn't happened to me either, nor do I get an itch.
I guess wearing socks would reduce the scratches - but not the action.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Just wondering if the scratches look like the repetitive scratching of an itch or more random scratches? I haven't had this problem but just thinking how when I lay on my side I automatically tuck the toes of my upper leg under the calf of the lower leg. It's always the top leg that has the worst PLMD jerks. I guess I started tucking my toes to try to keep the leg still, even though I didn't realize it. Although my legs have been fairly well managed for over 5 years, I still go to sleep like that out of habit. The movements with PLMD vary. Mine are more a movement of the lower leg and foot. I know someone whose are just a toe movement. It looks like the toe has an almost spastic flexion with contracture. I can imagine that type of movement could cause scratches.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c