My first post

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Erik M3

My first post

Post by Erik M3 »

Wow , is all I have to say. I thought for years and years I was the only one on the planet whose legs screamed in agony every night. I had this start in my late teens (I am now 37) and I suffer terribly. I was DX w/RLS a few years ago and hence have been sent on a misguided adventure into the medical world w/ little to no relief. The sad thing is I am a medical professional. I feel if I cant get help who can. My tx have been haphazard at best. I have been on Neurotin, Depakote, Triliptal and lastly this Mirapix (sic) I was on 1 and 1/2 mg to no real relief. I have no real supportive dr currently since my last one that really wanted to help is awaiting a long prison stint. He took me off all these crazy psych meds that drove my wife nuts cuz she said I acted like a zombie and put me on Methadone 20 mg bid. I have never felt better, I immed lost 25 lbs and was now a solid 210 lbs, I am 6 ft so ... I resumed running 3 miles a day and doing some gym work , basically I was living again, instead of walking the cul de sac at all hours of the night and falling asleep during the day like while driving. Now he is gone and I am back at step one, these dr want to start me on all the crap I was on before that didnt work. They recoil in horror when I say painkillers in low doses work 100% for me, they think I am a junkie I guess so they say "ok lets try neurotin again but double the dose. I want to cry. Why wont dr listen to their pts instead of just doing what they think will work for me ? I dont know how much longer I can go on w/ this agony at 3:00 am and then try to keep a career and family together while getting by on 2 hours sleep a night. I am back to looking like hell, gaining weight and using pot to sleep. well Iam done w/ my intro and I look forward to any advice from you great people.

jumpyowl

Welcome Erik

Post by jumpyowl »

to our community. :)

I only recently found out that I have RLS I immediately started a thread here, because information obtained form this web site opened my eyes.

I have never smoked pot in my life as I am a nonsmoker, but I suspected that pot actually helps RLS and is probably the best among such medications ( in which I include the opioids) for patients who are not helped by the other types of medication.

I also suspect that many people who have trouble with dopamine agonists and anticonvulsives would do much better with opioids. You appear to be such a person.

I am also one, although I have yet to try dopamine agonists. However, I switched back from Neurontin to Hydrocodone and am doing much better.

Do you have pain in addition to paresthesia? Such people are especially prone to do better with painkillers.

It is idiotic for doctors to worry about addiction when one takes such medication for pain. The incidence of addiction is much less in such cases. It is even worse when such compassionate doctors lose their license or end up in jail for doing their job.

The picture is even more complicated than that by the fact that this affliction changes its character according to the way one treats it.

Let us know, how much pot helps wih your RLS. Is it comparable to methadone?

Your best bet is to go to a pain clinic especially if it is connected to a sleep clinic to get the right medicatiomn for your problem.

Hope you decide to join us and keep up with the idea exchange.
Jumpy Owl

Thanks for the reply jumpy

Post by Guest »

Thank you for taking youre time to reply. Yes I have terrible pain, it starts mostly when I lay down for the night around 10-10:30 and it increases steadily until it hits its peak around 3:30 am. My thighs feel like they have nuclear generators inside them, the pain becomes unbearable, i actually broke my box spring under my matress due to my constant flailing and tossing and turning. I cant believe I actually broke it. My poor wife does not deserve this so I have moved into my den and been there for almost a year. My goal is to return to "our" bed and resume a normal life. I see alot of you on these cocktails of numerous meds which scares me. I have been on almost all of them w/ little to no relief. I am at the end of my rope. I went to a Dr Raso which is a pain mgt dr that I found on this site no less. After telling him of my suffering he put me on the Piramex which did not work. He upped the dose and told me to come back in 4 days. I did , he then wanted to put me on like 5 other meds at once all of which I have been on and made me sick or zombie like. He gave me the scrips and told me to come back in 4 more days. I told him I am suffering terribly and I cannot afford to pay him $200.00 per visit every 4 days. I asked for the meds I was on which ws the Methadone and one ambian. He told me in no uncertain terms that "well I guess you have to suffer some more cause I am a good dr and good dr's dont use painkillers."
PLEASE REMOVE THIS A-HOLE FROM YOUR PROVIDER LIST. He wants you to keep coming back everyother day then nail you for $200 each time. So Iam back to using pot to sleep which works very well for me but obvisioulsy has way to many drawbacks, illegal, I have kids w/ very good noses and I could lose my medical lic if caught. Like I mentioned before , the only dr that took the time to sit w/ me for 30 minutes when ever I needed him is now going to prison so short of running my car into a wall, I feel out of options, if it wasnt for my family I shudder to think what I would do.
BTW my dr that was sent from heaven to tx me was convicted of sex crimes so I am screwed big time.

becat

((((((hugs))))) erik

Post by becat »

ERIK YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE UP. THERE ARE TONS OF US OUT HERE THAT KNOW YOUR PAIN AND WE ARE HERE FOR YOU. THE SUN WILL COME UP TOMORROW AND EVEN IF YOU STILL AWAKE TO SEE IT RISE.......YOU ARE HERE FOR A VERY GOOD REASON. WE WORK AS A TEAM ON THIS SITE AND YOU ARE NOW WITH BECAUSE YOUR SUPPOSE TO BE.
I'm a lifer, only 40 now. I have been in pain for most of the past 10 years. I caught a break in my late teens and early 20's. I was able to control things with HOT baths and vitamins until I broke my leg/ankle 10 yrs ago.
I had the worst time finding anyone that gave a crap or beleived that the pain was real for years. I did my own research, found my own doctor, and then force my own treatment plan on him just recently.
I know where your at right now, I'm sending a big pray and hug to you.
First, Jumyowl is going to become a wonderful gift to you. He's jumped into the research side with both feet, so keep him updated. He's great at trying to "siffer" things out.
Second. The best thing I did for myself was to take my hubby to my last doc. appt.. He was able to share a different side of the story and back mine up as well. The doc and I don't get along well, I should change, but can't right now. If your doctor is not addressing the pain, he's not doing his job. The smoke thing.....hate to say it but when I was YOUNGER, been there, done it, it worked. Don't now for many of the reasons you listed and a few of my own.
About the medications.....I don't do well with many medications. My system doen't handle them well. I too, was and am worried about the meds. I take. I take Mirapex and I did get Ambien for 14 days.( week and half ago. I hadn't slept more than 1-2 hours a days in three weeks before. The toll it takes on a body is unreal.) The side effects of ANY medication is a scary thought. I went with the qualty of life side of things. You are going to have to keep looking for a doc that will listen. I think your right about the doc your with now. It doesn't sound right to go in every four days. My doc offered methadon, telling me that it's one of the safest. BECAUSE it's an older drug that has been researched over and over. If it works for you, it just does.
Last thought on the doc.......if hes/shes part of a clinic, you have the option of going to the director of medicine for that clinic and try talking to him/her about your lack of response from your doctor.
I didn't catch where you are from, are there any RLS research trials going on near you? I've thought about it, the human lab rat.
Don't give up Erik. We'll row for you right now, stay in the boat with us. You may be helpful to someone here and never even know it.
God Bless and keep us in the loop.

sardsy75

Good Dr's don't use pain meds???????????

Post by sardsy75 »

Anonymous wrote: I went to a Dr Raso which is a pain mgt dr that I found on this site no less. After telling him of my suffering he put me on the Piramex which did not work. He upped the dose and told me to come back in 4 days. I did , he then wanted to put me on like 5 other meds at once all of which I have been on and made me sick or zombie like. He gave me the scrips and told me to come back in 4 more days. I told him I am suffering terribly and I cannot afford to pay him $200.00 per visit every 4 days. I asked for the meds I was on which ws the Methadone and one ambian. He told me in no uncertain terms that "well I guess you have to suffer some more cause I am a good dr and good dr's dont use painkillers."
PLEASE REMOVE THIS A-HOLE FROM YOUR PROVIDER LIST. He wants you to keep coming back everyother day then nail you for $200 each time. So Iam back to using pot to sleep which works very well for me but obvisioulsy has way to many drawbacks, illegal, I have kids w/ very good noses and I could lose my medical lic if caught. Like I mentioned before , the only dr that took the time to sit w/ me for 30 minutes when ever I needed him is now going to prison so short of running my car into a wall, I feel out of options, if it wasnt for my family I shudder to think what I would do.

What planet is this doc "Rasco" living on????? Has he somehow managed to live his life completely and utterly pain free.....if so....someone needs to slap him round the head a few times with a frozen trout (or something even more solid?!), tell him to wake up to himself, and if he said "ouch" while being slapped then it's "well, welcome to the world of pain!!!" :twisted:

Asking for $200 PER visit (and every four days?!) is clearing pointing to someone who's in the profession for Money Only; and who does Not give a Toss about the people under their supposed care :x

Ahhhh, now that i've got that out of my system, Erik....welcome to the group :) As Becat said, we're a team here, and try our best to help each other out be it with a sympathetic ear, or advice on medications, to personal experiences with different medication combinations. Our dear friend Jumpy, if you allow him, may be able to assist you with finding the right type of medication.

RLS is different for everyone, and we all become our own guinea pigs at one time or another, or even for months on end, until we find that "magic cocktail". Some have pain, some don't. Some have 24/7 symptoms, others don't. Some have found their "magic cocktails", other, like yourself, are still searching". The one common denominator in this group (besides RLS!) is that we're here for each other, day and night, and we stick together.

I have been through 10 months of Literal Hell (you can find more of me under the thread "Prescription Medication Side Effects) and it took a sidelong glance and a "second opinions don't always go astray; you make the phone call and i'll write the letter" from my GP for me to get my foot through the door for a second opinion from another Neurologist (yes Jumpy, I promise to update again ASAP!). I still have an appointment with a Third Neurologist lined up for September if things don't pan out positively between now and then.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! I can hear where you're coming from with the brickwall. I've been to rock bottom....I know what it's like....the number of times i've wished we owned a chainsaw are too many to count. However, if you give up and hit that brickwall, your kids, and the rest of your family are never going to forgive you :!: Likewise, if you chop off your legs, not only will you never be able to walk again, you will still get phantom RLS, which definitely can't be treated :shock:

Tell us what drugs you have tried and in what combinations; what worked, what didn't. The more you tell us, the more we can possibly help. Massage, CranioSacral Therapy, stretching exercises, long hot spa baths.....they're my top four non-drug therapies.

Below is my favourites list for RLS sites:

General RLS Information:
http://www.wemove.org/rls.html
http://www.jmjudson.com/rls.html
http://www.rlshelp.org
http://www.sleepnet.com/disorder.htm
http://www.rls.org

RLS Treatment Information:
http://www.jmjudson.com/medications.html
http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm

Fighting RLS with everything else:
http://www.rlsrebel.com

I highly recommend the rlsrebel site. It has very practical information for non-drug "combat techniques"!

We're here for you Erik. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Vent as much as you like, and most importantly, stay positive!!!

Take care of you :)
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

Hullo again, Erik:

Post by jumpyowl »

Two of our best ladies already beat me to venting about Dr. R. The truth is that he could have gotten away with this attitude twenty some years ago. Nowadays, even the most idiotic and insensitive doctors know about pain and that they have to be treated.

If he can see you every 4 days at astronomic prices, he could not be a very good doctor, not even mediocre. Those are so busy that you have to wait weeks before you have a chance to see them. And this guy should have nothing to do with such disorders as RLS with pain, fibromyalgia, and other problems where pain is not accompanied by tangible reasons, as he has a completely wrong and even dangerous attitude. :shock:

You should write to RLS Foundation and lodge a complaint against this idiot. We should all do that if experiencing similar problems with doctors listed on this web site. 8)

In what way are you connected with medicine? RLS is one of these affliction where traditional medical training is less than helpful.

The fact that you sleep separately from your wife shows the caring and brave attitude of an independent thinker. I am proud of you! :)
Last edited by jumpyowl on Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

Erik M3

Thanks for the careing replies

Post by Erik M3 »

Thank you all so much , I am very happy to have found y'all, weird thing is I dont even remember how I found my way here. I am not sure where to start again for Tx. I was seeing a well respected neurosurgen who was my nextdoor neighbor as well as fishing buddy. He is unfort going off to prison so what to now. My GP is kinda clueless so do yall recommed a neurologist ? or try another pain mgt dr, one that believes in pain tx. unlike Dr Raso that is primarily concerned w/ his $200.00 fee and having no kidding dozens and dozens of pictures of his face all over the place, even the bathroom. I work in psychiatry so to say he is a little narcisstic is an understatement. I feel like I am at the end of my rope so if anybody knows anybody good in Palm Beach County , that would be great. Thanks
Erik

jumpyowl

Palm Beach County

Post by jumpyowl »

Is it in California or Florida? That shows how ignorant I can be. :oops:

Erik try and search the proper state on this web site (click on Medical and Scientific Info/Health Care provider Directory). You may find several. :)
Jumpy Owl

Erik M3

Post by Erik M3 »

First a big thanks to everyone that replied , wow, umm I live in S. Fla and there are no other dr's on y'alls list even close to me so where to go now is the ?? A break fell my way , my mother in law gets 180 10 mg Methadone and 90 hydyocodone a month from her pain dr and she has nothing wrong w/ her except her mental state. I mean how does she do it and I get blown out. Well she is very nice and gives me about 60 of her meth and 20 of the vic. so I am great right now, finally. She is willing to do this every month cuz she takes only about 1 meth and 2 vic a day so she has plenty to give , I have her blackmailed :wink: so all is good but I need to find my own dr. I take any good day I can get right now. OH and I am in my bed again woo hoo, nice bed, plasma TV , close to the kitchen lol and a hot wife so.. unfort I am not up all night to play in my garage w/ my cars anymore, nothing like nightly washes to keep my 'bahnburners nice and bling bling.
///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet!

jumpyowl

Jupiter!

Post by jumpyowl »

Erik wrote:
Wow, umm I live in S. Fla and there are no other dr's on y'alls list even close to me so where to go now is the ??

Well I am glad that you are getting relief but you are right, you need your own doctor. I did a little snooping around. Here is what I found:

Guess what? I found Dr. R, your "friend" in Jupiter(!), the one who is of no help, Louis L. Raso. So let us skip that one.

There is Glenn C. Berking, DPM
1873 West Woolbright Road
Boynton, FL 33426
561-742-7768

Boca Raton is about 35-40 miles from you and there are several doctors there:

Broward County Sleep Disorder Center
Natalio J. Chediak, MD
660 Glades Road
Suite 220
Boca Raton, FL 33431
No phone listed

MetCare Boca Raton
Michelle Hornstein
561-241-0025

Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorder
Stuart Isaacson, MD
561-392-1818

As you drive further South in your M3 :wink: you will find more I am sure. But perhaps this is enough to get you started. :)

You are right in one sense that South Florida is not famous of having devoted doctors (devoted to the patients that is). Once a friend and I went on a lecture tour in the Southeast US (sponsored by a pharmaceutical company) and the least impressive of all the places we visited was the Fort Lauderdale area. :roll:

Let us know if you find a good, co-operative doctor. Now you are lucky that you have a nice mother-in-law but it is good to have your own doctor.
Jumpy Owl

Erik M3

Jumpyowl

Post by Erik M3 »

Thank you very much for the info. I see you listed a DPM. Do you have any experience w/using them for RLS. Are they up to speed on this subjct more or less than say a Neuro would be? I will also check out the Boca guys when I get back from vacation next week. Boca has a bad rep w/ very snobby arrogant people so hope the dr are not like that.
I drive my cars down to Miami to get work done on them so I can do a speedshot down thwe TurnPike to Boca.
You are correct in S Fl having crappy drs. There was a big article in the Sunday palm bch post about us not having any Neurosurgeons on call for trauma. here we are in probly one of the wealthiest counties in the US, we have Palm Beach, Jupiter, Boca, and Jupiter Island (the richest town in the US, for the last 5 years) and our healthcare blows. My dad left Palm beach and moved to San Dieago for this reason alone. Our top Trauma NeuroSurgeon , the one I fore mentioned which is my neighbor, friend and fishing buddy is awaiting sentencing so if you have a stroke or spinal/brain injury you are SOL. If you can live long enough you can transfer to Miami or Orlando. Something is very wrong here. Thank you again and will update you when me and my crew get back next week.
///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet!

jumpyowl

Just one thing!

Post by jumpyowl »

Sharp of you to catch on the specialty. At present my thoughts are that the person matters more than specialty. One could be a neuro and if unfamiliar with RLS could do more damage than good! The reason is the preconceived set of notions which prevent him/her to see own limitations.

I would chat with any doctor or their assistant or former patients to find out about its attitude. The doc has to be able to work with you!

Have a good vacation! :)
Jumpy Owl

mapmaven

various treatments

Post by mapmaven »

Hey, Jumpy!
I migrated around a little and found this forum; all is helpful. Here's what I've got on mine so far (Erik M3, I'm 51, recently dx as well, probably had it for most of my adult life without knowing, and a volunteer EMT in New Mexico):

Blood tests (more later if wanted, the paper's not in front of me)... my binding capacity is skyrocketed (477) and RDW values are significantly off, so my doc is hitting the anemia angle agressively right now. He has ordered ferritin injections and plans 1/wk, 8 wks... the only drawback apparently is, the injections will tattoo... :shock: I told him he'd better be good at a smiley face :D ! Does anyone know what dangerous side effects there might be, besides the potential need for a racy tattoo to cover the injection sites? I've not found any in research so far.

Additional questions: I've been in touch with a DOM who says acupuncture/herbal tx have been used for centuries for alleviation of RLS sx/sp... anyone had experience with that? I do know I've slept better after acu tx for other things, and never put the two together till now... but then again, I've got a vivid imagination and am unfortunately good at psychosomatism... :oops:

And sorry, Erik, we stole one of your few good Drs (he's my doc now)... we brought a gentleman out of semi-retirement in Fla to come run a clinic in a rural mountain NM clinic, and it's a perfect match... 8) !

On the lighter side of things, should I leave it a smiley face, or connect the dots and have a celtic knot? lol

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Eric, I am so sorry you had a need to find us but as you have already discovered, we are a pretty good group. I have had RLS most of my life and hate to tell you but it is a progressive disease. It is getting much more severe in my life but I am so fortunate not to have much pain. Please hang in there. Listen to Jumpy's advice. Know that all of us truly know what you are going through and REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR TROUBLES!!! It isn't easy to find the right doctor or the right medicines. I'm with Jumpy in that I have never tried pot. But if it helps you, go for it. Other than a good doctor and medicines that work, your family is the most important help you will have and may even be better than the doc or meds. So take care of yourself because we all need you even if we never meet. Your input just might be exactly what someone else needs. Hang in there and keep us posted on your journey. Ruby