Masked Symptoms?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
violoboist

Masked Symptoms?

Post by violoboist »

Morning (that's what it is... only very early, rather unsurprisingly!)

Here I am at 1.49 a.m., with my legs having made me realise that I'm in for another restless night.

I was wondering if any other Rls sufferers could help? I was diagnosed the other day with RLS, and wasn't too surprised, as my Mum has it, and my Nan did. I'm in the process of being weaned off anti depressants, that I've been taking for over three years, and the RLS is really setting in now. Could the anti depressants have been masking or helping the symptoms?

Although I'd like to keep medication free as far as my legs are concerned, the thought of sleepless nights is really worrying me, having watched my Mum suffer for years now. I'm strating to feel like I'm running on empty, as RLS doesn't appreciate that you still have to get up for work in the morning!

Am I on the right track with my tablet theory? Does anyone think a herbal anti depressant like St John's Wort might help?
Verity

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Verity, I read your posts and Sara and Jan's replies. They both had great things to say. RLS is one of the strangest disorders in that there are few absolutes, both in symptoms and in treatment. For many people the anti-d's make it worse but some people do report that they help. Could be that Effexor did help. Could be that when you get off of it and your brain chemicals have a chance to function on their own, it will get better. Or not. :( . I'm currently getting off of a benzo and it's been terribly hard. I keep seeing references to how hard it is for people to get off of some anti-d's, too. These drugs have such an effect, when we stop them, it's a very hard time. Your chemistry is just out of whack. If you are tapering, maybe you could search the Web and see if you can find info about it; could be you are tapering too fast. I know with benzos that some people can stop much more quickly than others. And docs don't always recognize that for some people stopping anti-d's and benzos is very, very difficult with a LOT of side effects.

Sara manages without drugs - she's a great resource if you want to try that route. As she said, you're in one of the rough spots in the RLS road - it will probably get better, but it could be awhile, and getting there could require many tough nights, or drugs for awhile, or other strategies. I'm a strong advocate of learning as much as you can (I think I always say that to new members :oops: ) probably because it has helped me so much. Asking questions helps, but reading through old posts is very valuable too. Seems you are already doing some of that. Try the http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549 post; some great links to other posts with links, to other sites, etc. The RLS Rebel site is great for people wanting to manage without drugs.

Sorry you are in such a bad spot; hope it gets better sooner rather than later.

Ann