Newbee.. need help before I go a bit mad...

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Alexis

Newbee.. need help before I go a bit mad...

Post by Alexis »

Hi there,
I'm new here and don't want to bore you all with my life story but here it is in short and hopefully someone can help. I'm 30 years old and have had anxiety and panic problems in varying degrees for about 10 years but generally have learned to live with it and have been otherwise extremely healthy... until this time last year! I developed an abcess in my pelvis making me really ill and spent some time in hospital.. it was treted and i slowly got better and then in January this year I became ill again with similar symptoms and have been back and forward to hospital since then not knowing what was wrong and last week I was diagnosed with endometriosis. Ok.. here's the point.... while all this has been going on I have been having this really horrible thing when I am sleeping or trying to get to sleep... I have been putting it down to anxiety because that was the only way I could describe it.. like an anxious energy in my body but I just read somebody describe it as an uncomfortable creeping feeling which describes it perfectly... it makes me want to clench up all my muscles tightly which helps for about 5 seconds then it starts again... heres the next thing... it's not really in my legs, maybe my thighs a little but mostly its in my chest, accross my shoulders and down my arms. Could this be a form of RLS? I don't really get the twitching or jerking some people have mentioned and it seems to be just at night. If anyone can help or offer any advice I would really appreciate it. I am exhausted and just want to go to sleep but can't... it's like some sort of ancient torture technique!

Thanks for persevering through my rambling... it's 4am here in Scotland, i'm awake and my heads a little fuzzy!

becat

Hi and Welcome

Post by becat »

Hi Alexis,
No need for apologies. Heck, sleepless is something we all relate to.
Welcome to the board from someone in Texas.
You know we have a great friend here that truely understand pantic disorders, she would normally be around to answer you. However, she got lucky and is on vacation with her family. Our Sara, have written a couple of threads on this subject. Your likely to find them in this same section.
About the RLS....honey, RLS is a whole body issue. If your needing to move to find relief during times of rest...Yes, I'd think that could be a link to RLS.
It's an uncomfortable sensation and moving makes it better. I'd think that your on the right track looking into this.
Just because you don't see the same symptoms that others have doesn't mean a thing. We are all slightly different in symptoms and in treatments that work for us. Many of us come by RLS in a genetic form, but there are several other reasons people suffer with it. Medications, health problems, iron problem, some of us even see a link with hormones.
I'm giving you a link that our Ann started. It's got tons of great information and educational links that may be helpful to you.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549
Start there and certainly print out the RLS Algorithm for yourself and your doctor.
You need sleep and I'd let your doctor read it befoe any surgeries. There are tons of medications that can make RLS worse.
I hope you know your welcome here anytime. We'd be glad for you to jump into any conversation going on. We learn from one another here. Support is important and no one is better at it than the people you'll meet here.
Hope tonight things are going better.

alexis

Medication?

Post by alexis »

Thanks for taking the time to reply... since I posted the last message I think I may have had a breakthrough...! It would appear that the painkillers I have been prescribed (and have been taking for about 6 months) Tramadol, are possibly the culprit... I have tested the theory and they do seem to have and effect on the severity of the rls... Heres hoping...!

Alexis

lyndarae

~~~~~

Post by lyndarae »

Hey Alexis, Welcome to the forum, I was just reading your post on tramaol and found it very intresting, I too have having alot more pain and crepy crawlies lately. The doc wants me to go through withdrawl from it and go on hydrocodine. I am not looking forward to it but I cant stand much more of this. I;m Lyndarae by the way an old timer a year now hard to believe it. I have something new going on I just step the wrong way and it feels like an electrical shock from my foot to my legs,almost drops me to my knees. Good News ladies Alex is here and we have been having alot of fun. Hope no too many of you are up tonight klike I am. Any more info on the tramaol whould be helpful ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~lyndarae

becat

Hi Lyn

Post by becat »

Hi Lyn,
So glad to hear from you. Alexis here's to hoping you found the answer. Hope things are better for you.
Hey Lyn, glad to here the Man is there. I'm so happy for you.
Have a safe 4th.
hugs to you.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey all HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!

Time for me to change meds,hee we go again,or well it could be worse right,,,, Becat, hon poky died on Monday....... I am not sure what happened I put him in a new place in the tank and the water got to hot. Im ok knowing he is in turtle heven.............

becat

oooooooo Noooooo

Post by becat »

OOOO Lyn I'm so sorry about Pokie. He's the only turtle I've ever cared about. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Poor thing.
Hope that Miss Gracie is doing ok......her cuddle buddy. :cry:
Love ya, glad to hear from you.
Hugs.

Cherylspeh

Your leg pain description

Post by Cherylspeh »

Hi Alexis,

I hope you have found some relief. I am still searching for mine. I wanted to tell you that your the first person I have found that describes my symptoms perfectly. About 20 minutes after laying down and almost nearing sleep, my legs begin to ache also. I also feel I must tighten my leg muscles, which I do, but as you said, it doesn't help. :roll:

I have been using Xanax or hidocodone and it helps a lot, but I don't like taking them and am searching for a better form of relief.

Thanks so much for sharing and if you find something that works, other than drugs, please let me know...until then take care. Happy 4th..

Cheryl

Alexis

Thanks to you all

Post by Alexis »

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for reading my rant! It's just nice to know that at 4am... i'm not alone... I'm sure everybody can find the middle of the night quite a lonely place to be sometimes... Of course.. In an ideal world none of us would be awake!

Thanks again
Alexis