New to Discussion Board

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
debcut

New to Discussion Board

Post by debcut »

Hi! I have been suffering with Restless Legs Syndrome for about 20 years. I believe I am also contending with augmentation. I have been taking up to Mirapex nearly all that time. I have been trying to find a doctor to work with me and have been through some miserable experiences. I joined the RLS Foundation nearly a year ago, but just recently figured out how to sign on to the discussion board. I am trying to read as much of the information as I can while also continuing to attempt to find a doctor to help me.

Polar Bear

Re: New to Discussion Board

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to the discussion board. Please feel free to post and to ask questions.
It is often difficult to find a doctor who understands the treatment of rls and many of us have 'educated' our GP.
This book is wonderful, it is easy to read and can be used for discussion purposes with your doctor.
Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening. Make sure to get the second edition. These Authors are at the top of the league when it comes to the treatment of WED/RLS. It can be found on Amazon.

Also, have you had your ferritin serum level checked, this is pretty important. It is a blood test that is not normally done with routine blood works and you need to ask for it. This tells the level of iron stored in your brain – and that is what is important to us sufferers of WED/RLS. We need a level of around 100, especially if we are taking a DA drug such as mirapex. When getting the results of this test please ask your doctor for the actual level = do not accept ‘normal’ as an answer. Doctors and Labs may consider 20 to be normal… but it isn’t normal for us.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Re: New to Discussion Board

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome - I joined in similar circumstances many years ago (augmentation and what to do about it). The warm people here provided support and knowledge that helped me figure out how to resolve it. Over the years, they've been here for me time and time again. Hope that your experiences are a wonderful as mine and that your torture lessens soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.