Finally...

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
RLSinOK

Finally...

Post by RLSinOK »

Finally, I have found a reason why I like to walk so much. First, little background: I am a 26 year old male who has suffered from very compelling urges to walk since adolescence (I think). I feel an uncomfortable pulling calling me to walk. I immediately began research on RLS this morning after seeing the TV ad last night. I've always chalked these urges up to excess energy, hyperactivity, etc.. I am particularly compelled to walk when something emotionally charged enters my mind. There have been times when an angery thought enters my mind and I find myself jumping out of the chair and running to the next room before I even realize it. I've been wondering if I suffer from secondary RLS brought about by another condition. I eagerly await your comments.

becat

Hi Ok

Post by becat »

Hi Ok,
First of all, so glad you saw the TV ad. I was starting to think no one else had. Cool, getting the word out there.

I guess I'd have to ask you if you suffered from growing pains as a child? This might point to a genetic link for RLS. Did anyone or does anyone in your family have the same discomforts that you've experienced?
You say you have the urge to walk......Can you tell us a little more about the feelings. Is it in your legs? Other parts of your body? Does moving make something feel better phyiscally or just the emotinal feeling?
Most of us find it hard to explain, but I feel better if I'm moving. I feel the need to stretch or roll my ankles. Sometimes I itch.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Hugs to all.

Post by Guest »

No, I don't recall any unexplained physical pains in my limbs when I was a child. My father said he went through a phase of pacing circles around the dining room table when he was a child, but said his pacing habit wasn't as severe as mine. My younger brother shakes his knees when he sits, which I also do; but I believe I recall reading that knee shaking and RLS aren't necessarily linked.

As far as the urge to walk, the best way I've seen it described is as a pulling sensation in my legs. I also like to walk at a fairly quick pace. When I'm forced to walk slowly by someone in front of me, I start to feel the sensation again. Of course that's partly my personality; I make games out of how quickly I can do things. I feel better when I'm moving also. I always prefer stairs to waiting for an elevator.

Another thing I've yet to research is a correlation between RLS and my nystagmus (rapid involantary movement of the eyes).

Well, I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to ask more.