Does this sound like Restless Legs Syndrome?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
BazB44

Does this sound like Restless Legs Syndrome?

Post by BazB44 »

Hello, I'll start by saying that both my mother and grandmother have Restless Legs, and both got it before or around 40 years old.

Im a 31 year old male who had charley horses all the time as a kid. I've had anxiety for ages too. Whenever I stand I rock back and forth because I cant stay still. I get some pains here and there, numbness in quads, tingling and twitching in my legs and sometimes feet (my calves love to twitch and ache). Not all my symptoms are in the evening though, and sometimes I get symptoms in my arms too.

In the past 5 years I have felt the uncomfortable restless sensation laying in bed a few times, but its not often. I do have limb jerks sometimes, but I've always thought it was from anxiety. Im curious if all of this sounds like it could be a Pre- Restless Legs thing? Im not sure if numbness or twitching is a symptom of Restless Legs, but I know the rest can be.

Polar Bear

Re: Does this sound like Restless Legs Syndrome?

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome...
There is RLS which is an uncomfortable and distressing sensation accompanied by an uncontrollable urge to move.
Then there is PLMS which could be the limb jerks.
They are not the same disease but sometimes go togethr.
There is also Peripheral Neuropathy which can give some peculiar sensations.
And just occasionally someone can have a bit of all of them. It can be difficult to work out what is what.

Have you been to your doctor to discuss this, have you ever taken any medication.
Most importantly - do you have the urge to move and does this movement eventually ease the restless symptoms.

If it helps, here are the questions listed by a doctor to determine if it is RLS:
1. Do you experience the urge to move?
2. Is the need to move overwhelming to the point that you cannot resist moving your legs?
3. Will the urge to move increase if you are in a confined position?
4. Do you have symptoms both sitting and lying?
5. How long do you need to be at rest before your leg symptoms begin?
6. Do your symptoms only begin when your legs are in a specific posture?
7. How quickly do you get relief when you start moving?
8. Do your leg symptoms occur when you are walking?
9. If you have obtained relief with walking, do the symptoms ever return while you continue to walk?
10. When are your symptoms worst?
11. When you are symptoms least?
12. Do you find your symptoms are less in the morning?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Re: Does this sound like Restless Legs Syndrome?

Post by badnights »

Hi BaxB44. Cramps and charley horses, numbness, tingling, and limb jerks are not RLS/WED symptoms. Being unable to stand still, pain, and twitching might be symptoms, only if they are accompanied by an urge to move and are worse later in the \day. Anxiety is a common companion in people who have WED/RLS. The determining feature of WED is an urge to move. This urge is almost always accompanied by abnormal sensations in the legs, is relieved almost immediately by movement (not just a change in position) but can return rapidly when movement stops, is triggered by sitting or lying still, and is worse in the later parts of the day.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.