Self Dx - I'm New

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Dana

Self Dx - I'm New

Post by Dana »

Hello all.

I am SO VERY HAPPY that I've found this web site and message board.

I am thinking that I have RLS, but am not 100% sure.

Sometimes at night I get a sort of itching sensation in my calves that gets worse until I move my legs. This started around 4 year ago. My husband complains that I am "kicky" at night and either wake him or keep him up. There are times when I don't notice it until he wakes me.

These episodes are not an every night occurance, but seem to be worse when I am too warm (or maybe I get some relief when I throw off the covers). They also seem worse when I am already tired or needing sleep - if I take a nap (assuming I can sleep) I am better when I wake up.

After finding this web site tonight and talking with my husband, I started thinking about another habit I have... I "caught" it from my mother. When I am relaxing (reading, watching TV, trying to fall asleep) I MUST rub my feet together (or just on something, sheets will work), or tense the muscles in my feet. To me this is not annoying, it is strangely comforting to me. I have done this since I was little, so perhaps it is just a "small" bit of RLS, and my "big" cases are when I keep my husband up.

From reading tonight I believe that I may have RLS and that it may be treated with some kinds of psychiatric medications (I work at a mental health clinic, fancy that).

Well... uhm... that's my story so far. :) What do other think?

jumpyowl

Welcome among fellow sufferers!

Post by jumpyowl »

Dana wrote:

Sometimes at night I get a sort of itching sensation in my calves that gets worse until I move my legs. This started around 4 year ago. My husband complains that I am "kicky" at night and either wake him or keep him up. There are times when I don't notice it until he wakes me.

It sure does sound like RLS. You should encourage your husband to sleep in a separate bed when you feel RLS threatening. No reson for both of you being sleep deprived. :wink:

A polysomnography (modern sleep study) would be very helpful to find out and quantitate whether you have periodic limb movement. You can see my results in the other thread with a title similar to yours. 8)

Do some more reading. Yours seems mild enough that the proper medication may help relinquish the symptoms. You need an open minded doctor who knows something about RLS and is willing to work with you.
Jumpy Owl

Jon

Hi new to RLS

Post by Jon »

I can remember when mine was mild and every once in awhile. It seems to progress as you get older. You said yours seems to get worse when you get to warm. (Mine to.) Another thing that seems to trigger mine is when I walk my dogs at night in the winter. The cold weather seems to be a trigger also. I try to keep a log of everything I consume. Caffiene seems to be a top thing and also alcohol or drinks at night are the worse. Start taking note of everything you do and eat. These things can make it worse. The best thing that seems to work the best for me in Hot Baths and Soma, when I can get the doctor to write me a RX. This has been the best medication for me. You can wake with no side effects whatsoever.

Welcome and I look forward to hearing from you more.

jumpyowl

About Soma

Post by jumpyowl »

Sorry, duplication!
Last edited by jumpyowl on Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

About Soma

Post by jumpyowl »

Hi, Jon:

I looked up Soma, especially since at one time my daughter was taking it for fibromyalgia. I could not find out what the composition is. One of the side effect is insomnia?

However, you implied that in your case it had no side effect. have you had problems with insomnia either prior to or after taking the drug?

It appears that on-line one can get soma without prescription?

The history of stoma (Iranian/Indian background) is fascinating. Now they think that it consisted of cannabis or opium and ephedra?

Please let me know.
Jumpy Owl

Dana

Re: Hi new to RLS

Post by Dana »

Jon & JumpyOwl,

Thanks for the replies! After reading what I have, I am VERY thankful that I have a mild case. I've spoken to my mother about her habits as well and she doesn't think that she is kept awake by kicking, so perhaps it isn't on her side. Unfortunately I'm not close enough to my father to question, but maybe my sisters can help me out here.

I will definitely try and keep track of what triggers mine. It is more of a nuisance than anything. I'm thinking of getting a mat to sleep on, or an air bed... then I get to kick as much as I'd like without the pressure of keeping hubby up (that makes it worse, the stress of trying not to move, as I'm sure you well know).

I am starting an exercise program this week (tomorrow, I hope!) and will be watching what I eat. I'm using one of those online places to track what I eat and what activities I do, so thankfully I can always look back if I can't remember!

I really would hate to see mine get to the point of wanting medication for it, but we do have a bottle of Tylenol PMs which I can always take half of one if I "need" to.

Again, thank you for the kind words and suggestions!

~Dana

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

There are some great sites for ways to help with RLS symptoms other than with medicine. There is another thread on this board that has links to very helpful sites. I have decided that a sleep diary would be a good idea for me. Most of us have found that caffeine, alcohol and sometimes dairy products make our symptoms worse. If I am on my feet alot during the day, I have more problems at night. Same goes if I just sit around all day. Heat makes it worse for me. Stress is a real killer. So you can see that different things trigger worsening symptoms. I have also found out (just recently) that I need to take my meds earlier in the evening. If I can get to sleep right away, I'm pretty good for the night. I have also found that sometimes it helps to put a pillow under my knees. Such strange things for us to have to do, but if it works :lol: There are some wonderful people on this board and we all work together to help each other out. It's been said before, we're all in the same boat, we just have to take turns rowing. Lately, I not only haven't been rowing, I feel like the anchor slowing the boat down. But Jumpy is doing great in the research department. It's mainly just finding out what works best for you. Hope you find relief and a good night's sleep.