Hi Newbie Here

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Nevfirechick

Hi Newbie Here

Post by Nevfirechick »

Hi, I am so happy to have found this site. My husband and I saw something about rls on tv the other day and it described both of our suffering!

I have been feeling the symptoms of rls for years now and have had an increase in the last 6 months. I attribute that to a variety of health issues I have recently been diagnosed with. I never brought the symptoms of rls to the attention of my doctors for fear that they would think I was nuts. I never even spoke to my husband about it until last January and then discovered he too had the same symptoms.

Does anyone out there know if having thyroid issues increases rls? In January I went into a period of forced hypothyroidism due to thyroid cancer and noticed the symptoms became unbearable during that time. I also have Graves disease and was wondering since thyroid issue can have an effect throughout your entire body if any link has been made to rls.

I plan on speaking to my doctor about this at my next visit in a few weeks but in the mean time any information I can obtain and take with me would be great!

Stay groovy,
Nevy

becat

RIght place now

Post by becat »

Ok, Now I've got the right post to be cheeky in> :D
Welcome to you Nevfirechick,
I posted on the another thread that it must be interesting for both you and your husband to have RLS.
My bed is messed up, can't imagen yours in the morning??? LOL, too late messed it up by posting in the wrong thread..... :?
Anyway,
I can only think that your plate has seemed full already. It's nice to know that Graves is very treatable. Restlessness is one of the things that seems to go along with Graves. Doesn't mean that you would have to have those issues, but makes sense that you could. I reread a couple of Graves information pages to make sure. Many autoimmune disorders can bring on RLS issues. I'm no doc, it's just what I have read or been told by others. We have some wonderful members that suffer with autoimmune issues, hopefully they will jump in the conversation as well.
Here is a link to a discussion that was going on, thought you would be interested in it.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=804
Welcome and hope this finds you having a good day.

Nevfirechick

Thank you!

Post by Nevfirechick »

I really appreciate your response, it all is falling into place, the more hypo I went (eventually ending up with a TSH of 90) the more uncomfortable I was. I will speak to my endo at the end of this month regarding it and hopefully he will know what I am talking about :lol:

I will also let the others on my graves disease board know about this site and ask them if they are having the same symptoms since recieving treatment (either thyroidectomy or RAI) for their graves.

Again, thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Rainbow's and Flutterby's!
Nevy

(hehe I liked the joke about the bed!)

becat

Hi again

Post by becat »

Hi again.
I thought I'd add.....just in case your endo has no idea about RLS. You can always print off the RLS Algorithm from the Mayo CLinic.
This is the guide to diagnosis and treatment for RLS.
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/in ... D=744&UID=
This is something that you can print out for yourself and your doc....
Also, if you had growing pains as a child you might have a genetic link to RLS. So the thyroid problem might have awakened it.
I hope you feel welcome, not chased away. I hope you keep us updated, as there are several others that have thyroid issues as well.
Have a good evening.

jan3213

Hi there!

Post by jan3213 »

I'm Jan. Welcome! Hi Becat. Wow, you do have a full plate! Graves and RLS. I'm really sorry you have both, but I'm really glad you saw the spot on TV (Yeah Becat) and so glad you've found us! This is a great place for info and support for RLS. Wonderful people here.

Well, I don't have Graves--don't know too much about it, but know it's not an easy thing to deal with. I'm sorry. I recently tested positive for rheumotoid arthritis. I appear to have four of the seven criteria you need to be diagnosed but have't seen a rheumotologist. I can't get in to see the one my GP wants me to see until September 20. It's an autoimmune disease as well as being extremely painful.

I've had RLS most of my life, so it came first. However, I must say that the RA (I assume that I DO have it) brings out the demon RLS every once in awhile, even though I'm on Mirapex and Klonopin. I imagine I will have to discuss this with my rheumy, as well.

This past winter, I had a heck of a time. I caught everything under the sun and had a hard time getting over everything I caught. I became very drug sensitive and developed hives. And, of course, I couldn't take Benadryl to relieve the hives because it exacerbated my RLS. So, RLS does make life more difficult when you have an autoimmune disease.
However, I survived with a little help from my friends here on the board--Becat was certainly at the top of that list.

Good luck to you. This is a wonderful place. I hope you continue to visit us and that you decide to make this one of your permanent places to come to for help.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Nevfirechick

Hi and Thank You

Post by Nevfirechick »

You all are great! So much information to try to digest while I sit here at my desk working LOL. becat I will check out the link from the mayo clinic and print to take with me, as well as the other link on possible thyroid triggers.

You are so right that my plate is full, having graves, thyroid cancer and now possibly RLS I am just a bit overwhelmed. Hopefully with the help of my endo I can get the RLS resolved or at least get some relief. I plan on making an appointment for my husband with our GP as soon as he returns from a business trip in Phoenix. (Oh ya, add that to my plate too...I have been back and forth to Phoenix 2 times in a month for my job <rolling eyes>.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the information!

Rainbow's and Flutterby's!
Nevy