New here looking for guidance.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Yankiwi

Re: New here looking for guidance.

Post by Yankiwi »

devn67, sinemet is no longer prescribed for long term use, rather for quick relief in individual situations. Since Tramadol is working for you, try to find a doc who will keep you on it. I use 100mg slow release Tramadol and .25mg ropinerole. It isn't perfect but along with accepting up time in the night it works for me.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Definitely stay away from the Sinemet if possible, it works well and works quickly, but is best only used for occasional use as it augments very quickly.

Some members do use it but are very careful to plan how/when they use it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

I'm trying to wean off Mirapex gonna try Kratom, how much Kratom should I take and can I take oxycodone with it? or wait til I run out I only have two weeks worth of Oxycodone left

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I think I'd try Kratom as soon as you can get it. It is a lot easier to get and you have control over dosing and refills compared to opioids which require cooperation from the doctor. Start with a quarter of a teaspoon, if no improvement in an hour or take another quarter of a teaspoon, then wait an hour and if necessary take another half teaspoon. Kratom is extremely bitter, when I took it before putting it into capsules I mixed it with ice-cold grapefruit juice to help relieve the bitterness. No problem adding oxycodone, oxycodone is stronger than Kratom but it won't interfere.

Kratom doesn't last very long, so if it is working for you, you will likely have to repeat the dose in 4 hours or so.
Blessings,
Holland

devn67

Post by devn67 »

Thanks everyone. My appointment is on the 14th of next month with Dr Palmer so I'll know exactly what she is or isn't going to do regarding the Tramadol then. As a side note, I ordered some Kratom to see if it would work and I must say that it does work. In researching it more though, I suppose there's no way to know if someday soon it will be banned. It's very hard not to be cynical these days. Seems like our government is not really worried about actual harm reduction. Decisions are too often made as either an over reaching knee jerk reaction or are made as a result of lobbying on the part of big business such as pharma who are only interested in sustaining profits.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

devn67 wrote:.... In researching it more though, I suppose there's no way to know if someday soon it will be banned. It's very hard not to be cynical these days. Seems like our government is not really worried about actual harm reduction. Decisions are too often made as either an over reaching knee jerk reaction or are made as a result of lobbying on the part of big business such as pharma who are only interested in sustaining profits.

I feel the same way, and after I found out that Kratom really helps me, I have a stockpile of 3 Kg that I keep in my freezer. At my current consumption, that will last approximately 6 years.
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Seems like our government is not really worried about actual harm reduction. Decisions are too often made as either an over reaching knee jerk reaction or are made as a result of lobbying on the part of big business such as pharma who are only interested in sustaining profits.

I think that the issue is that overdose deaths are increasing, so they think that they have to be seen as doing something. Unfortunately, the easiest course of action for them is to crack down on prescription meds rather than going after the illegal heroin. Their own statistics show that overdose deaths due to prescription meds has been constant or has gone down over the last few years while heroin overdose deaths have increased four fold. I also believe that they haven't thought through their current actions because if they make opioid prescription meds inaccessible for those of us with non-cancer chronic conditions, all they are going to do is force us to the streets or towards suicides. But then, both of those outcomes would support their statistical improvements by reducing prescription overdose deaths. Which makes for a lose-lose situation for us.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would love to give Kratom a try but it is illegal here in the UK.
There was a link recently (might have been Holland) showing a good supplier in California and I perused the site with interest.
Although my symptoms are quite well controlled at present I was thinking it might just let me slightly reduce my ropinerole.
With the illegality over here I visualise the Drug Squad at the door should I make an order.

Now.... if it was to promote good sleep and kick insomnia into touch....
I wonder would I risk th Drug Squad ?
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Polar Bear, I heard somewhere that kratom is used as a clothes dye and in that capacity is not illegal in UK. Thus, if it is not for consumption it is not illegal to possess. I order it from Amsterdam from a website.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

legsbestill - thak you.
Betty