New member to RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

New member to RLS

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the message board all because of a strange coincidence that happened yesterday. A phone number popped up on my cell phone and when I went to do a search for who belonged to that phone number on the internet, it led me straight to the RLS.org website. What's ironic about it all is that I have PLMD and the RLS.org website is the closest I've come to any type of support for my condition. No one has my cell phone number other than my husband. I only use it to call him when he's working out in the field but he was home last night when my phone rang. I didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the phone number. Strange how that unknown phone number led me to the RLS.org website.

Anyway - on with my introduction:
I was diagnosed earlier this year with PLMD - Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. I also have some other health problems, too, but here lately my PLMD has been a bit hard to manage even being on ReQuip. I've found out that I must take my medicine at the same time every night and that I better eat a small snack when taking the ReQuip, too. Otherwise the nausea is almost unbearable. It's the only side effect I have if I do not eat a snack. I can't sit for very long. I have to stand up and stretch or walk around. I get plenty of daily exercise from walking my Greyhounds around our acre of land. I try and eat right and I try to go to bed at the same time every night regardless.

When I was first diagnosed with PLMD, my Dr asked me if I knew that I constantly ran in my sleep. I laughed because I also have 3 adopted retired racing Greyhounds that also run in their sleep when dreaming! I told my Dr that it was true - I was part Greyhound! Then my Dr got serious and said it also causes you to hyperventilate in your sleep and causes your heart to race as well throwing me into distress several times a night. That put me into the severe category of PLMD. I never knew I had a sleep disorder until I went to my neurologist for my other health problems which is MS and a protruding disc in my neck.

He started me out on ReQuip and the low doses didn't do anything for me. I was to stop at 1mg but since I've had to have it increased up to 2.25mg. I still have some awkward and restless nights on the 2.25 but the 2.50 really makes me wake up feeling out of it so I'm sticking to 2.25mg for now.

I'm glad to have found the RLS.org website and this message board. I'm hoping to be able to learn a little more about how to cope with all of this so my nights won't be so disrupted.

Have a great day everyone and a better tonight, too.

GentleHugs :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

GentleHugs, that is too cool! I love coincidences like that. You've come to the right place to find out more. Lots of information here. Links to good sites, good people, encouragement, commiseration, etc. Just one thought: many of us find that smaller amounts of two drugs in combination are better than higher doses of one drug. So, as you do your research, keep that in mind. For example, Requip may be paired with Klonopin for PLMD or with Neurontin for PLMD for pain. One other thing is that if Requip isn't perfect for you, you might try Mirapex. They are similar but work on different receptors - often people find they like one more than the other.

Oh, we've had a lot of newcomers lately, You might want to read our replies to Katie http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=994, and this one too http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585 as both posts contain some great information.

Welcome!
Ann

Thanks Ann for the welcome!

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ann for the welcome!

I also take a low dose Neurontin for my MS pain. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have to be very careful with what I take because I'm allergic to alot of different medications. I'm also allergic to eggs and kiwi. I had to learn how to tell the difference of when my MS is flaring up or if it was my PLMD acting up or if it was the protruding disc in my neck causing problems. At least the ReQuip settled down the tremors I was having in my arms due to the bad disc in my neck. They were getting really bad where I couldn't hold a glass or cup without shaking everything out of it or dropping it. Now if I can get my legs to settle down, I'll be ok. I'm having a little bit of problems with my legs this evening but it's not bad. It's been a lot worse.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind. My Dr told me that I could go up to 3mg on the ReQuip if I needed to but when I take 2.5mg, I feel really out of it when I wake up in the morning so I re-adjusted it back down to 2.25mg. I think the 3mg would be way too strong for me.

It's good to know I'm among friends that have the same problem as I do. Now I know there's someone out there that can identify what I am going through every single day and night.

GentleHugs

RestlessNGa

Post by RestlessNGa »

Welcome to the dancing legs group! lol The only problem is that they seem to dance when ya don't want them to!!

Glad to see ya and will look forward to your posts.