Kratom and lortab issues

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

Kratom and lortab issues

Post by Eternityroad »

A few weeks ago I tried Kratom with acceptable results. Over the weeks I built up a slight resistance but still was satisfied. The issue is even if I purchase the bargain Kratom mentioned in Kratom Newbie post (it just came into stock) it is still less expensive per month to purchase the lortab. But the difference is about 15$ and that is if I can make 250 grams of Kratom stretch an entire month.

In order to stretch the Kratom I had been using both meds and dropping down the lortab dosage. When I ran out of Kratom I wanted to wait until it came into stock at 25$. So I began using lortab usual doeage. I found I had to use more than the 2-1/2 tabs/ per day I had been taking for 8 years! The two-tab dose I was taking at noon barely got me to 11 pm and the 1/2 tab (7.5) I took at 11pm barely got me through the night. I am wondering why the increased need and would it have had something to do with suddenly stopping the Kratom.

The bargain Kratom is now back in stock, but I am at a loss on how to manage the use of it. Right now it seems I should probably use both, cutting down the hydrocodone dosage. I also want to keep my prescription of the hydro live in case the gov't decides to add Kratom to the class 1 drug list.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

ViewsAskew

Re: Kratom and lortab issues

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wish I had some ideas...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I had had the shuttering thought that augmentation was setting in after so many years. But I think this is likely more of an opioid issue. The squirms haven't been as bad today and the kratom should be here by Saturday.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I have read that restless legs is a commonly experienced side effect of coming off Kratom (for people who use Kratom recreationally and don't habitually suffer from wed - lucky sods). It could well be that that is what you are experiencing.

I alternate Kratom with neupro patches - changing over every few weeks and I do find that for two days or so after I stop Kratom I am agitated and uncomfortable. Hopefully it will settle down for you and the original dose of lortab will suffice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thank-you

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

When I am dependent on opioids and stop them, I get a sensation that is very similar to RLS, but is not. It is in my arms, hands, shoulders. I use kratom to dull it to get through it - and it works. So, clearly works on the same receptors. I use it to go through withdrawal and lessen the dosage I need. So, that is one way. Until I read legs' post and reread your post, I didn't put this together...duh.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

You should regard the kratom as another opioid. It benefits WED/RLS the same way, stopping it will leave some of your WED untreated, if your total opioid dose (kratom + prescription) is high enough, you'll feel withdrawal when you stop, and you may develop tolerance, in which you require a higher dose of either to get the same effect.

What I'm not sure of is why a few weeks on kratom should have built up your tolerance to such an extent.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Tough to understand yes; because I had been on the same daily dose of hydro for years without building a resistance and requiring more. My plan with the new batch of kratom is to use it exclusively and try to keep it in the bounds of what is affordable with the good price I get. At worse I may have to use both, but at least there will be sone curtailment of total dependency on the hydro.

I do appreciate the feedback to this post.