allergy nasal spray question

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Yankiwi

allergy nasal spray question

Post by Yankiwi »

I've been using Flixonase (Flonase) for years with no problems but recently the design of the bottle was changed and it is awkward to use. I changed to Alanase whose active ingredient is beclomethasone dipropionate. On the third night I just couldn't settle in a way different to my usual legs problems. This could just have been a coincidence but does anyone know if beclomethasone dipropionate could have adverse side effects for RLS people? I couldn't find any in their data sheets.
Thanks

Rustsmith

Re: allergy nasal spray question

Post by Rustsmith »

It is just a different topical steroid, so it may simply be a case where you are more sensitive to the Alanase. There are generic forms of Flonase on the market, any chance that you could find one of the generics since they would probably have a different style of applicator?
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Thanks, I'll look for a generic Flonase. Last night probably didn't have anything to do with Alanase, just a "normal" bad night but I'm always optimistic of having a better night tonight.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

All of those nasal steroids bother me and make my RLS worse. I have tried several, including flonase.

Sleepless at night

Post by Sleepless at night »

I have used a nasal spray that has an active ingredient called Oxymetazoline hydrochloride. For me, it made my RLS a thousand times worse before I came to the conclusion that it was making me much more worse than I would ever have expected.
There is an article somewhere, where a man was given it intranasally by injection in a hospital setting, and the nursed couldn't keep him down due to his movements. I wish I could direct you to the article. I think if you look up the drug name, you will find the article. Try oxymetazoline and RLS.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Interesting article, I've printed it out for future reference.

Sleepless at night

Post by Sleepless at night »

That's it! Thank you. I hope it can help someone.