Iron Patches

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SquirmingSusan

Iron Patches

Postby SquirmingSusan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:05 am

Someone in a bariatric surgery group just posted about these vitamin patches. They have multivitamin patches that have 45 mg of iron, as well as iron-only patches. The get great reviews, and I'm going to give them a shot. I'm due for my check-in with the hematologist to have more iron infusions, but not really looking forward to that.

https://store.bariatricpal.com/collecti ... y-supply-1
Susan

ViewsAskew

Re: Iron Patches

Postby ViewsAskew » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Sounds interesting. After my third infusion, I had over 50% reduction in meds for almost 6 months, then slowly started creeping up again. I am still below where I was when I received it a year ago, but back to about where I was for several years.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Darn it - they put way too much vitamin C in it. Oddly, I am sensitive to all forms of acids - malic, citrus, etc, as well as citrus fruits. I could only use this if it had about 25% of the RDA, not 400%!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Postby SquirmingSusan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Well darn it, Ann! I take something like 6 grams of vitamin C a day. Odd they would put it in a patch; I thought vit C was to help iron absorption in the digestive tract.
Susan

badnights

Postby badnights » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 am

They say the C is added for enhanced absorption. Maybe the same chemical process takes place across the skin as across the GI tract.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 am

6 grams of C would make me CRAZY with itching - whole body, non stop. I shudder to think of it. I cannot eat one orange every day for a week. 3 a week, max, lol. And, no other acids or citrus!

Managing Your RLS

SquirmingSusan

Postby SquirmingSusan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Here's another iron supplement I came across. Much less vitamin C. 6.5 mg per serving. Not sure I like "nano" anything, and their science is a bit questionable, but it looks interesting.

https://shoppe.listentoyourgut.com/angs ... -32-fl-oz/
Susan

badnights

Postby badnights » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:10 am

Hmmm. I personally will leave off ingesting nano-sized particles of anything for now, even of iron. There's some concern that this type of formula could send a person' out of iron homeostasis (possibly causing iron overload) because the particles bypass the usual transport mechanisms thru cells of the gut walls. But my main concern is that the long-term effects are completely unknown, and we don't have a good track record with that kind of stuff. Some nano-particles - not ones found in food additives, but nevertheless - have caused physiological changes (enlarged villi) in the gut walls of chicken. Maybe I'm over-cautious.
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

SquirmingSusan

Postby SquirmingSusan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:15 am

Actually I realized the patches are said to be nano particles. They seem to be scientifically impossible, since the weight of the patch is less than 1/10 of the claimed weight of the nutrients in them. When I asked them about it, they said it was due to their special dehydration process, and basically magic.

Regarding nano-particles, apparently most of the IV iron formulations involve nano-particle iron. According to this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459360/

"Most IV iron agents are colloids with spheroidal iron-carbohydrate nanoparticles. Each particle consists of a carbohydrate shell that stabilizes the iron-oxyhydroxide core (Fe [III])." I had no idea that nano-particles are as common as they are. They've apparently been used in animal feed for years, and in iron infusions.

Since I don't absorb oral iron, I think I'm stuck with nano-particle iron, either by infusion, patch, or oral supplement.
Susan

badnights

Postby badnights » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Ah. Interesting.
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Nanoparticles are common in nature, it is just that we haven't had a way to detect or see them until very recently. My area of technical expertise involves a specific form of iron sulfide that frequently exists as nanoparticles and these nanoparticles turn out to be one of the key ingredients to the start of VERY early life, where amino acids on Earth started to combine and ultimately lead to the formation of DNA.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”